need advice on purchase??

me and my frined spotted a 94 cobra on a dealer and we went to check it out.my friend has been wanting one for a while(by the way hes a big mustang guy currently putting 91 5.0 engine into 68 mustang) .he prefers the 5.0 over the mod motors so this one is just for him.its a 94 with 80k miles leather tan interior in nice condition, mach 460 stereo, ita all stock except for the rear tailights(it has the 96-98 ones)and its convertible.the things that are wrong is one of the tailights doesnt seem in right has too much space between it and the trunk, it has some crappy square tips,the car also seems to be repainted,and i think the top is aftermarket cause the material is different than mine.overall the car seems pretty good, oh and mechanically i cant find something wrong with it.the dealer wants $8k for it what do u guys think???BTW, what are the average 1/4 mile times for this car and what rear end gears do they come with???well let me know what u guys think and hopefully the deal goes through!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

97vertstang said:
...oh and mechanically i cant find something wrong with it.the dealer wants $8k for it what do u guys think???

You cant "FIND".. .... Meaning what? You went into the engine with a set of tools and inspected everything :shrug: Im not sure what that statement means, unless you took everything apart.

Secondly, if you want more replies, you gotta learn to not make a single entire sentence into ONE paragraph...I got exhausted reading it.

Last, I doubt that car is as stock as you "may" think, but even it is, IMO 8K is WAY too much for it.

Good Luck
RC

The 94-95's haven't hit good yet. Frankly, I believe it will be a long way down the road, too. The Fox's are getting there. So with that said, even if they're getting more rare as we speak, it's not worth $8K. There's no way I'd pay that. 1/4 mile times may not be as good as you'd expect, either. That's in stock trim .... but they have alot of potential. The 5.0 is easy to mod, cheap (er) to mod, and can make plenty of power.

Dealer's like to rip people. I've had a few SN95 experiences. I WILL NOT (right now) pay more than $5K for a nice Cobra. I've seen too many good deals out there to get ripped again.

the spacing between the taillight and the trunk could very well be caused by an accident. i wouldnt even consider the purchase without a carfax report and a visual inspection behind the panels inside the trunk. as far as pricing goes, $8000 is high considering once you add taxes, tag, and title fees, you will be over $9000. just to give you an example of what a 94-95 stang should sell for, look at my signature and read the description of the car i have for sale.

Green 94 5.0 said:
the spacing between the taillight and the trunk could very well be caused by an accident. i wouldnt even consider the purchase without a carfax report and a visual inspection behind the panels inside the trunk. as far as pricing goes, $8000 is high considering once you add taxes, tag, and title fees, you will be over $9000. just to give you an example of what a 94-95 stang should sell for, look at my signature and read the description of the car i have for sale.

Carfax is good...it tells you most stuff, but even if it comes back clean there is still a high chance of it being in a wreck. Just cause its not reported doesnt mean it didnt happen.

And about 3 years ago, i paid $6500 for my GT at a dealer with 60k on the clock. They had it listed for $7800. It did have some front bumper paint damage from the previous owner taking road trips or something. I guess my point is that if possible, walk in there and say, "hey look, i got X amount of dollars. This is all i got so work with me if you want to sell this car." Most salesman just want the sale. I was not gonna pay $7800 for it...no way in hell. But dont let them know how much you want it...just act like it wont make or break your day whether or not they sell it to you for that price.

So i guess what im trying to say is that money talks. Either way, i would not pay that much for a cobra....especially if you are gonna modify it.

Yeah, I agree with everything said so far. I bought mine used with 70k for $6000 and with a Cervini hood and a new top. That's way too much for a stock 94 vert.

Oh, and because you asked, the rear gears in a 94-95 vert are 2.73's. It's horrible I know.

As you probably already know, dealers always want alot more than private parties. If he'll take $7K, it might be worth it.

I got mine 1.5 years ago for $7K, but it already had a bunch of upgrades. Then again, it's a GT, not a Cobra.

The 96-98 taillights and the space indicates the car was in an accident. I'd check into that very thoroughly.

Sounds like the car was most likely in an accident. Check in the trunk for the VIN number stickers. There should be three of them. One on the trunk lid and one on each inside fender next to the trunk molding.

If they do have them check to see if they all match. Wouldn't pay more than $6500.

i would never buy a car like that at a dealer. private sale is the only way to go with a car your going to modify. i would only buy a dealer car for a warranty on a DD. otherwise anything modwise you do will prolly void the waranty.

don't pay that much. way over priced. tell them it was in an accident and you won't pay over 6k for it then haggle down no more than 6500 and take it.

yeah i also thought 8k was a little too much i got the gt in the avatar for 5k but i thought considering it was a cobra it was worth a lot more. yeah i wanted second opinions from u guys to see how much it was worth, were gonna try to bring him down and if he doesnt well look for another.im look for the vin in the trunk cause if its been in a accident we wont even consider it. 94GTLASERRC- aka english professor thanks for the writing lessons,oh and btw when i said i didnt find something wrong mechanically i meant i didnt find it to be dripping oil,misfiring,grinding into gear, etc... well thanks evrybody and let u know if he gets it or not.

i want opinions on a car, not my writing. this is a car forum, if you guys are gonna complain about my writing i rather not post here again. I was really excited about the cobra, i really didnt care about my writing, so i rumbled on and on. my bad wont post here again. never been in a forum that complained so much!!!!! :bang: for everybody else who actually helped thanks :nice:

If its a clean title never been in an accident that is not a bad deal. 8k for a Pace Car even if it has 80k miles is pretty sweet. It should have the indy badge on the back as well as embroidered in the head rests. If there are not any stickers in the trunk you may want to order them or something but. Being a repaint though especially if its not red you should get them to come off the price some, because the collectability is practically gone.

94_302 said:
If its a clean title never been in an accident that is not a bad deal. 8k for a Pace Car even if it has 80k miles is pretty sweet. It should have the indy badge on the back as well as embroidered in the head rests. If there are not any stickers in the trunk you may want to order them or something but. Being a repaint though especially if its not red you should get them to come off the price some, because the collectability is practically gone.
yeah!!! it has logos stitched in the seats and a logo in the trunk.i think it said indianapolis 500. forgot to ask, what is that about???and is it better than a regular cobra or still fetches the same price??it seems to be repainted but it is still red. i think 80k is decent for a 94 considering my 97 gt has 101k.if no one else takes it and if it hasnt been crashed im pretty sure hell take it.he already has plans for 4.10s and single chamber flos.ill let u guys know how it goes:nice:

97vertstang said:
yeah!!! it has logos stitched in the seats and a logo in the trunk.i think it said indianapolis 500. forgot to ask, what is that about???and is it better than a regular cobra or still fetches the same price??it seems to be repainted but it is still red. i think 80k is decent for a 94 considering my 97 gt has 101k.if no one else takes it and if it hasnt been crashed im pretty sure hell take it.he already has plans for 4.10s and single chamber flos.ill let u guys know how it goes:nice:

The only 94 Cobra Vert is an Indy pace car. http://www.indypacecars.com/1994.html
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/pacecar/94/index.htm
Pace Cars usually pull a little premium depending on the buyer, however when they have higher mileage repaints and are not in that "garage kept" condition. Collectors may stear clear of those, but if he is buying it to have a sweet piece of mustang history and is not a person who has the will power to own one of these and only put 100 miles over 5 years. Then go for it! For his own future knowledge, if he is looking for a 94-95 cobra vert he has two choices in color red or black. All 94's were the indy pace cars and red, all 95 Cobra verts were black. Good luck with it all hope that Pace Car ends up in the hands of some one who will appreciate it like your friend. Just dont get too caught up on it being a pace car that you lose sight on whether or not it has been wrecked. :nice: