Need Advice Quick Please! - Car at Ford Waiting for me to call back

buzzcut1580

Mar 16, 2004
2001 mustang Gt, 169,000 miles.
So the car started stuttering, and the engine light came on and it smelled, i brought it to ford right away.

The just called me and are waiting for an answer, said the intake is warped and cylender 2 is filled with oil. They can replace the intake for $1,350 or torque it down for a temporary fix for $320. What should i do??? Does this sound right to an experienced person? Please help.

• Sponsors (?)

I just called a local shop to see how much they would charge me and he has to get back to me in an hour, then i would just have to pay ford the diagnostic fee. Does anyone think the temporary fix is worth it? Do these fees sound right to you?

So the car started stuttering, and the engine light came on and it smelled, i brought it to ford right away.

The just called me and are waiting for an answer, said the intake is warped and cylender 2 is filled with oil. They can replace the intake for $1,350 or torque it down for a temporary fix for $320. What should i do??? Does this sound right to an experienced person? Please help.
If you spark plug wells are filled with coolant, means the lower intake gaskets are failing, which would cause a misfire and Check Engine Light.

New intake and gaskets probably would cost a quarter of what was quoted, if you do the job yourself.

Un-torque and bolt on, remember where everything goes. The job is simple, take as much time as you need, and bag bolts and parts TOGETHER, so you don't miss anything.

Hdr makes things look stunning lol..thanks...srt4 orange knockoff..not the exact color but close...going to be a thread soon on the color combo and other parts...gt emblems are bronze as well

Wait, did he say anything about a leaking head gasket?:scratch:

I don't know about a "warped" intake? The intakes are composite plastic. I would bet that the intake has a crack somewhere? Leaking coolant. Thus your smell and leaking air again thus your check engine lite. I would spring for a aftermarket performance replacement. Prices vary? An you could do the Install yourself saving a lot of money.
The stealership will just take your money an give you a headache in the long-run.

Thats too pretty for me, you might cause a traffic jam with :hail: those matching emblems!

Lol thanks! I was gonna do the tru forged style and do the lips atlantic blue and the spokes black but that was too serious lol

To the op, your intake more than likely has cracked as stated above..grab a new intake manifold and gaskets from american muscle and have someone other than ford install it if you cant so it yourself...ford will sell you the intake for $700 and you can get the same intake and gaskets from american muscle for around $250ish

$320 to torque it down?!?!

Did you offer to lube you with salt t0o before they stick you?!?!?!

As pointed out... these intakes don't warp. They aren't metal. On older intakes the front coolant crossover is prone to cracking. However, after mid 2001 the updated intakes with the metal crossover were standard. They can still crack in other spots, but this is generally very noticeable and it usually fails pretty big.

Second, there is no, zero, ZILCH in the way of oil that runs through the intake manifold. That could only be from a bad PCV (leaking), bad/weak valve cover gaskets, etc. If the intake manifold gaskets were failing, it could definitely seep coolant into the plug wells and cause a misfire. Oil could get mixed in as well if you have a leak, but oil isn't getting in there because the intake is bad.

I'm sorry, but for $1,350 they can sit and spin on that intake that will end up cracking again at some point. I did the swap myself for maybe $250 including the intake, gaskets, new fuel injector o-rings and coolant. Not hard, just need to be careful to put everything back in its correct order as mentioned.

Im sorry, after talking to them more today the 320 was for a new coil & to torque it down, which was a temporary fix. The service lady didnt tell me the whole story. So i am going to go ahead and get the 1350 fix, i have no other choice, i can not afford a new car right now because i am still paying off my wifes Edge for 3 years, and this job is just to big for me. I change break pads and oil, changed the module in the fender to get my A/c working again... little things like that to save money.

Anyway i told the lady since i am paying so much to give me a break on the parts, she said parts were 700 something. So she is going to talk to the parts manager and see what they can do and call me back.

Is there an upgrade intake manifold i can ask for? Since i am getting this done anyway mindsawel inquire about more hp. Any familiar with an upgraded upper and lower manifold everyone is using?

If they are ripping you for $700 on the intake, I would never ask how much a performance intake from them would be.

Seriously, I just did this mostly by myself (I did have assistance getting the new gaskets and intake on). In my backyard. It is not hard at all. You'll need a Haynes/Chilton manual, required sealant, and some hand tools. Just take pictures before removal and take your time.

Even if you don't have any hand tools, you would still come out a $1000 better buying the tools and doing it yourself. You're saying you can't afford a new car, but you seem to be in a hurry to throw away $1000+.

Im sorry, after talking to them more today the 320 was for a new coil & to torque it down, which was a temporary fix. The service lady didnt tell me the whole story. So i am going to go ahead and get the 1350 fix, i have no other choice, i can not afford a new car right now because i am still paying off my wifes Edge for 3 years, and this job is just to big for me. I change break pads and oil, changed the module in the fender to get my A/c working again... little things like that to save money.

Anyway i told the lady since i am paying so much to give me a break on the parts, she said parts were 700 something. So she is going to talk to the parts manager and see what they can do and call me back.

Is there an upgrade intake manifold i can ask for? Since i am getting this done anyway mindsawel inquire about more hp. Any familiar with an upgraded upper and lower manifold everyone is using?
No way in HELL! Get your car out of that dealership! They are ripping you off big time! You said you change brake pads? If you can do that than you can swap out the mannifold. If not take your car to another shop!

There is really no such thing as an aftermarket performance intake manifold for these cars. Unless you have a big blower or turbo, the factory piece is the best on the market.

I don't understand how a leaking intake manifold turned into a choice between spending $~1400 and buying a new car. I do understand wanting them to fix it to minimize down time, not everyone has the time and a place to work on a car.