Need Better Tires

Jinx

I like cats, cats like me. Cats and I fully agree.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 2, 2003
Cat Country
I drive a 2003 GT daily to work, about 5 miles one way.

Due to economic reasons, I have been driving on some p.o.s. Tiger Paw GTZs. I hate them. They don't hook up on regular street roads on a dry sunny day and they've actually been known to break loose while accelerating in 2nd gear. I now have some budget to start looking at some new shoes for the pony and want something that will grip 1st through 2nd without hesitation. I live in Florida (north) and have no need for winter tires nor all season tires probably. We get a few weeks out of the year where the temps drop below 40 and usually not for long. From discussion in another thread, I think my tires are not warming up enough to grip properly, which is why I'm looking for something a little softer/stickier.

I used to run Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s but they were kind of pricey (still are) and when I was driving 40 miles per day they wore pretty quick. What I am looking for is something with the grip of those tires but with a little more tread life. I'm only driving 10 miles per day city, vs. the 35 highway that i used to, so perhaps tread life should not be too much of a factor. We use the wifes Fuzion for weekend errands and road trips.

Current specs:
Tiger Paw GTZ
all season
speed rating 95w
traction AA
tread grade 400

Previous specs:
Eagle F1 GSD3
Summer
speed rating 98Y
traction AA
tread grade 280

• Sponsors (?)

Nitto is always a popular choice because of its bang for buck. I still have great traction in 2nd on their max performance NT05’s. The only downside is that I have to change out tires every 2 years because of the 200 treadwear.

For a little more treadwear look at the NT555 G2’s. Great all around summer tire with good bang for buck. https://www.americanmuscle.com/nitto-nt555-g2amm.html

If you are still rocking the stock wheel size you save enough money with these that it is worth it to get a wheel upgrade if your budget can afford it.

Reactions: 1 user
When I had my 88 Coupe, daily driver, I got the most out of Nitto 555R. I know drag radials aren't meant to last, but since they didn't slip they seemed to work best for me. I tried a number of different types, including Goodyear supercars, but they just didn't last due to them slipping all the time. I have Nitto 555s now, but have only had the car for a few hundred miles so I can't speak for them yet. They don't spin as easily as other tires, but I still have to be slightly careful at red lights.

I’ve had really good luck with Cooper/Mastercraft tires .
I bought a wheel/tire package once that came with brand new summitimo tires-they where like driving on ice at all times lol

The reason I'm not too worried about tread wear is that if I only drive it as a daily to and from work, I will average less than 3,000 miles per year. So far to date this year, I have only put 876 miles on the car.

The reason I'm not too worried about tread wear is that if I only drive it as a daily to and from work, I will average less than 3,000 miles per year. So far to date this year, I have only put 876 miles on the car.
Ive has a few sets of Hankooks on my SN car,and have been really happy with them
E5D65BBD-4E86-4BD0-98FA-858EF95BEA5A.jpeg

F0CB242C-3273-4A4E-81FB-CFA6354574BF.jpeg

I’ve had two different sets of Cooper tires on my wife’s Lexus,equally as happy with them lol
375CF51F-8EF4-4234-B1A1-367B160EBF2F.jpeg
CA11A444-426B-4520-8D41-D734CB3CC7B8.jpeg

I was guessing at your tire size, so this is just for reference :)

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/.../245-45-17?q=:price-asc&sort=price-asc&page=1

In that case, I absolutely recommend Nitto DRs. When I had my coupe I drove about the same as you, roughly 2k a year. They didn't spin so I didn't wear them down like I did with other, non-sticky, tires. Every time I used any other tire I had to be extra careful taking off from stops, with the DRs I was able to drive normally with no wheel spin.