Need clutch recommendations

Feb 11, 2007
I'm looking for a clutch to go in my 66 to complement the t5 conversion in progress. My motor is a 351W making a reliable 450 hp at the crank, and around 480 ft lbs of torque. The car weighs 3000 lbs with driver and I take it to the track occasionally on slicks. I have a ford racing billet steel flywheel but now its time to shop for a clutch. I was thinking something like a king cobra or equivalent. I dont want any chatter or an inferior product. what would you guys recommend? I like the ford racing one primarily because of cost - under $200. I heard of people running the king cobra pressure plate and a centerforce disc? What are the best options out there for cost?

• Sponsors (?)

Setup? is it stock or pushing 600 rwhp? how is clamping load, pedal fee, chattering, high rpm characteristics? . . .

It amazes me that although a large number of people have read this thread, they dont have any other recommendations? Does everyone here just run a valuecraft clutch???? :shrug:

I got a regular Spec 3 in my '95 with the 408. Definitely handles the power and clamps hard. Had some chatter at the beginning if I really slipped the clutch, but now its smoothed out. Pedal effort is pretty heavy and engagement is like an on/off switch. The Spec 3+ is supposed to be a lot more driveable, but be able to handle more torque than the regular Spec 3, so you may wanna give that a shot.

had the king i didn't like it, so i juust recently order a spec stage 3, more then what i need but im a spirited driver and plan on mods so yea. heard good things about spec so hope is stands up to it which i think it will,

lol that was a funny joke valucraft clutch haha yea i don't ever buy autozone crap thats why i refer to them as autocrap. but good luck on the bid

I snagged the centerforce dual friction for $200 shipped. The guy says he has 4500 miles on it. what should I do to clean it/check it out before install? This is my first clutch job since going back from a C4 to a T5, so what should I do to ready the parts? any break-in?