Need drag radial advice w/ stick, new best et

Well i used my bfg 215/60/14 drag radials i got from Vinyl66 for the first time. First time I've ever run anything besides a street radial, man it sure is different. This was the Year One bash at the Atlanta Dragway, Vinyl66 ran a new best as well 12.01 109+....all most Rodney.....
r/t - crap
60' 2.303
330 6.190
1/8 9.373
mph 77.94
1000 12.121
1/4 14.441
mph 97.29
My prior best on 255/40/17 Kumho street tires was [email protected] 2.336 60', My best 60' last night was a 2.269 but short shifted a gear so no better et.
Need some advice from folks w/ a stick using drag radials. I made 6 passes total on best run was 20psi and some wheel spin. All other runs I just seemed to bog once i got the clutch out after dropping to 17 psi. I lauched at about 4k most runs. I know these exact tires are good for 1.70's 60's as that is what my buddy was runninng w/ them when they were on his car. He has a auto w/ 3k stall and more power. I was hoping to get at least 2.10's or better 60' times. It seems there must be some sweet spot to get these to lauch well w/ a stick shift car I just need to find it. I did do 2nd gear burnouts and got that down pretty good. Had a ton of fun. Best part of the night. My first race was against a 69 Camaro w/ 350 looked really nice 4sp car. I ate him up.......Should i try higher launch rpm's and just dumped the clutch or try lauching less rpm and ride it out. I've heard from a few folks that drag radials work best w/ auto cars as the shock load on the sidewall is more w/ a stick. However I got to believe I should be able to get better than a 2.269 60' w/ them. Thanks for any advice.........

• Sponsors (?)

if your launching at 4k is it spinning? If its holding I would say you just don't have the power and to go up until it spins. I'm not the best one to talk though my 60 still sucks as well but I need to grab some sack and launch like you!

Well by best run i just about dumped it and got a little spin w/ 20 psi. So I drop down to 17 psi and i guess i just did not have enough rpm as it bog. I'm sure there will be a lot of test n tune to get them dialed in. I'm thinking now that maybe w/ the stick it would be better to roll into it like w/ street tires and feather the clutch...ahh hell who knows............

Don't go off what someone else ran. He could have had better traction, or more power.It's not always apples to apples. But if it's bogging, that's a good start. Traction is there, just need a little more inertia. I would try 17psi again with a 5k drop.

10secgoal said:
Don't go off what someone else ran. He could have had better traction, or more power.It's not always apples to apples. But if it's bogging, that's a good start. Traction is there, just need a little more inertia. I would try 17psi again with a 5k drop.

I agree with this as far as improving your 60 foot times. Keep increasing the launch rpm until you loose traction, then back off it just a tad to get to the limit of traction.

Now, I'm going to tell you from experience that 5000 rpm launches and traction, starts to show weak links in the drivetrain. If you haven't beefed up the drivetrain, parts breakage is going to happen sooner or later. Sticks are hard on parts.:D

Jimmys66 said:
If you haven't beefed up the drivetrain, parts breakage is going to happen sooner or later. Sticks are hard on parts.:D
Aww, half the fun is keeping it out of the wall.:nonono:
99mph isn't a bad MPH though. The time will come down with traction and more wheel time.