Need Ford Tech Help! ECU Question.

TweekedGT

Jul 22, 2004
Alberta
My tuner thinks the ECU on my car is screwed so I need to get a new one. He told me Ford fixed the problem the 96 and 97 computers were having with the 98 models and that I should find a used 98 ECU. I have found one but what do the ECU code numbers mean? if I want to replace my 96 manual tranny computer what do I need to know to buy the 98? I know there are different ECU codes but what is the difference? Can I buy any 98 coded computer to replace mine as long as it is for a manual transmission? Please help guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Ya, I can't get at the passenger side kick panel to get the code off the ECU, got the car on jackstands retapping my belt tensioner (don't ask). I'll have to get it in the moring if Mike or Randy need it. Hope they can help somehow. They usually come through with these types of tech questions.

as I answered in another forum, a 1998 ECM WILL NOT WORK in a 1996 or 1997 GT, total BS whoever told you that.

1998 fuel system is not only different then 1996/97 but is also wired differently in the PCM and harness, it could be done but Major rewiring of the harness would be required and I sea NO gain by doing this. stay wth a 1996/97 GGL4 PCM and you'll be fine

Thanks Randy, that was my other thread I started in you know where. Does it matter which code then? I thought mine was a GGL3 for some reason with a long FZ#$@% code number or should I just get one that is for a manual tranny?

I thought they only started returnless in the 99+ GT's, that's good to know. So obviously a 98 is out. What i need to know now is what the codes mean. Here is a link to the computer I am going to buy http://mpsautosalvage.com/products/list.cfm?TypeID=70. Does it matter if I buy a different code than the one I have in the car as long as it is a GGL4 for a 5 speed? The reason he thinks the computer is shot is because the load values on my car are really low at WOT compared to what they should be. I am only showing 90% load @ WOT whereas all of the other KB cars he has tuned are showing 120+% load. He thinks we are leaving a lot of power on the table and I do too. There is a gremlin we have been chasing for 2 years and can't find it, this is the last option and he has just came upon another tuner that had the exact same problem with a 96 car as we are having and it was the computer.