Need Help - 1967, Loud *thunk* Sound While Driving, Now Grinding Sound

jonestyler22

Sep 3, 2014
Hey guys,

Didn't plan on posting again so soon, but something big happened a few minutes ago.

Quick background - I noticed about 2 weeks ago that a metal-on-metal sound was coming from the passenger side of the car while I drove. The sound is hard to describe, but it was like a mix between a grind and a squeel - like whatever you'd imagine a grind to sound like but higher pitched, like nails on a chalk board.

It was hard to hear over the normal sounds of the car, but I noticed it one day when I was driving with the windows down and there was a car level with me in the other lane. I was then able to hear it loud and clear thanks to the car next to me reflecting it back. It had a sound that went in and out, like there was one place on the wheel that was causing the noise. Listening to it was like this: "*screech *screech *screech *screech" instead of "SCREEEEEEEEEEEECH". It also went faster/slowed down in conjunction with my speed, so it must be something on the wheel, right?

Anyway, I started looking for answers online, and as always got nowhere due to the lack of consensus and sheer amount of information out there.

It looks like I ran out of time, because today, when I pulled into my apartment, I heard and felt a loud *THUNK* and then heard a continuous and DEEP grinding sound coming from the car. I expected to see sparks coming out the back and a part dragging on the ground, but when I parked it, the car was clear underneath.

With my limited knowledge, I can't see anything that is immediately obvious when I look under the car.

So my thought was brakes? I have discs in the front and drums in the back, and I'm about 90% sure it's the rear wheel that has the issue.

Everything I found online suggests either bad bearings or bearings not tightened down enough. This is pretty unclear though. I'm doing what I can to learn about drum brakes, since I think that's the root of what's going on , but that's just a hunch.

Anyone have any thoughts? What the heck happened?

• Sponsors (?)

What usually happens is when the brakes were worked on ,the adjusters were replaced on the wrong side . They are left and right .If put on the wrong side they will adjust closed instead of opening out the way they should and then fall into the drum. The cable that attaches to the adjuster can also break and the adjuster will fall out .

Hey guys,

Didn't plan on posting again so soon, but something big happened a few minutes ago.

Quick background - I noticed about 2 weeks ago that a metal-on-metal sound was coming from the passenger side of the car while I drove. The sound is hard to describe, but it was like a mix between a grind and a squeel - like whatever you'd imagine a grind to sound like but higher pitched, like nails on a chalk board.

It was hard to hear over the normal sounds of the car, but I noticed it one day when I was driving with the windows down and there was a car level with me in the other lane. I was then able to hear it loud and clear thanks to the car next to me reflecting it back. It had a sound that went in and out, like there was one place on the wheel that was causing the noise. Listening to it was like this: "*screech *screech *screech *screech" instead of "SCREEEEEEEEEEEECH". It also went faster/slowed down in conjunction with my speed, so it must be something on the wheel, right?

Anyway, I started looking for answers online, and as always got nowhere due to the lack of consensus and sheer amount of information out there.

It looks like I ran out of time, because today, when I pulled into my apartment, I heard and felt a loud *THUNK* and then heard a continuous and DEEP grinding sound coming from the car. I expected to see sparks coming out the back and a part dragging on the ground, but when I parked it, the car was clear underneath.

With my limited knowledge, I can't see anything that is immediately obvious when I look under the car.

So my thought was brakes? I have discs in the front and drums in the back, and I'm about 90% sure it's the rear wheel that has the issue.

Everything I found online suggests either bad bearings or bearings not tightened down enough. This is pretty unclear though. I'm doing what I can to learn about drum brakes, since I think that's the root of what's going on , but that's just a hunch.

Anyone have any thoughts? What the heck happened?

hello;

you can jacxk up the front wheels, spin rhe tires ans listen.

look for rough grooves on the outside and inside of the front rotors. they should be fairly smooth.

jack up rear

remove both wheels and look foir grooves in the drums or shoes worn down to the rivets or metal backing or broken springs etc..

if a drum will nit come off. you should loosen the brake adjustment as far as necessary.

this can be a bit hard for a begginner to do but it can be done.

i