Need Help Asap Car Dies On My While Driving

94gtslow

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
Temple,Texas
Well i have been having this problem. just driving along and my car will die for no reason. So I just push the clutch in and restart it.

At first it would restart then at other times it would not.

I Replaced the TFI module, and the distribuor.

Now today i was driving along and it just died, for the first time since replacing the TFI and the distibutor.

I check the codes and I got one that says 197

What can this be?

could it just be a bad fuel filter, i repalced mine about 50k miles ago, or could ib be wires or something else.

I am running out of ideas, and need my car running, its my daily driver.

• Sponsors (?)

94GTslow,

Normally this is a symptom of a bad stator (hall effects sensor) in the distributor. Since you have replaced the distributor that should eliminate that cause, UNLESS your replacement distributor had a bad stator in it!

Code 179 translates to "Fuel at lean adaptive limit at part throttle, system rich; right side".

My guess is that either means the O2 sensor in your right side exhaust system is bad, OR that your fuel system is running so rich on the right side that the O2 sensor cannot compensate for it, e.g. the sensor is telling the PCM to lean out the mixture on the right side bank of fuel injectors, but it has no effect. Almost like you had an injector stuck open on the right side.

FYI, the equivalent code for the left side is code 188.

Good luck.

I could be a fuel filter or even something blocking the fuel inlet to the pump.

It alsmot sounds like you have a bad injector (stuck open) and the computer is trying to compensate by not firing the other 3 injectors on that side though. That will cause it to stall out.

Chris

it starts fine.

In the morning when i first start it it starts fine. Then when I take off, and shift to second gear sometimes it hesitates, or it will back fire. It only does that in the moring when it is cold and I take off.

When it dies I am moving already and it just dies for no reason.Like today I was traveling at about 45 mph and it just died.

I have an electric fuel pressure gauge and it reads normal.

:shrug:

I have this same problem!

1.Replaced the coil pack, no change.
2.Swapped the idle control unit on the throttle body per recommendations from a Ford dealer, no change.
3.Tested the clutch pedal control switch for continuity, tested ok.

Mine will start and run for about 20 seconds then die and not restart for about 15-30 min.

No codes are listed.

No sparc from coil when this happens (thats when I replaced the coil)

Using a power tester (Mac tools) to test power on the coil pack;
1. When ignition off, green light on + and - sides.
2. When ignition in run position, light is red on + and - sides.

Using a fuel pressure tester from Napa, tests ok.

I have not changed the O/2 sensors to see if this is the problem.

I had 3 computer diagnostics last summer from FireStone, BP Pro Care and a local shop and they have no answers other than it's because of the Jegs H pipe. (Bulls*&t).

I spent 1,200 bucks last summer at a Ford Dealer to correct a wiring issue with the instrament cluster. All gauges were reading incorrect, speed at zero when driving, temp at H, oil at H.

I'm lost and can't afford to take it in right now, just parked in the garage.
Very fustrated.