need help charging the a/c

tsoccer3299

Mar 21, 2004
Tacoma
I replaced almost everything in my a/c system, compressor, accumulator, liquid line with orifice tube, and clutch cycling switch. The thing is it wont take any refrigerant. The compressor stays off for awhile then cycles on for like 3 seconds then stays off for another 15 seconds. I'm guessing that there is just not enough refrigerant in there yet right? Could it have something to do with the new cycling switch? The next two things I guess I will try are putting the refrigerant in warm water and also checking the pressure. And yes I have the a/c turned to max and on cold air, and filling with refrigerant on the drivers side

• Sponsors (?)

Ruh roh. :)

So it sounds like you probably havent been able to get any refrigerant in the system (without jumping the LPS on a fresh system, you can't really get a charge in there).

I'd vac the system at close to 30" (the boiling point will depend upon ambient temps) as is feasible. Then let it sit to make sure it holds vac (to make sure you dont have any leaks). Thirty minutes normally suffices. Then charge it into the vacuum.

To do this, you really need a set of manifold gauges. I suppose you could have a shop vac it for you and then you'd charge it. I'd probably just let the shop charge it up at that point.

You hit the compressor with an initial oil charge when you had it on the bench? If not, you might want to before vacuuming.

Random thoughts.

Good luck.

You have a low pressure side and a high side or 2 ports that are marked accordingly...you add to the low side only...

I was able to buy one of those kits and re-charge my wifes Pathfinder...my cars still on the original charge and puts out just fine...I tried to add some to it and it didint take a lick...

The orifice tube is in the liquid line. That is the smaller line that runs from the lower condensor hole (in the firewall), to a plastic rivet/bolt on the inner fender, to the evaporator. Unfortunately I have the crimped in kind.

Der sehr Herr :) ,
Have you checked for 12 volts and ground at the clutch itself? You might have juice making it to the clutch but the clutch is shot (being electromagnetic, they sometimes need adjustment or just crap themselves).

Also, the WOT relay can be an impediment to the clutch engaging. If you pass 12 volts through the LPS/LPCS (Low Pressure Switch/Low Pressure Cycle Switch. They are the same thing) but it doesnt reach the clutch, the WOT is a very good place to look.

Random thoughts. Haben Sie Glueck!

Being brand new I'd hope the clutch was not shot... but it wouldn't be the first time. Must the engine be running or just the key in the on position?

Where is the WOT relay? I don't have a wiring diagram as it's a friends car.

Und danke sehr!

hmmm... well after a bit of testing it would appear that I was unsuccessful in my jumpering attempt last night. In other words jumpering worked this morning. So, it's off to the autoparts store to get a low pressure switch.

hmmm... well after a bit of testing it would appear that I was unsuccessful in my jumpering attempt last night. In other words jumpering worked this morning. So, it's off to the autoparts store to get a low pressure switch.

Ganz toll. The LPS is about as easy as anything to replace.

FWIW (in case it's needed), the WOT is in the CCRM, which is the expensive black box of relays mounted to the radiator overflow.

Good luck.