need help cooling my 408 stroker

• Sponsors (?)

408 now running cool

Thanks for the advice guys. I went home last night pulled the electric fan and shroud. Installed a new 18" flex fan and a 160 degree thermostat. It now idles at 170 and was 175 in traffic.

What a waste of money - I spent $270 on that Fle-a-lite black magin electric fan to try to gain a few horses on a 408 stoker and all i gained was headakes.

Put the $38 flex fan on it and problem solved. It doesn't even have the shroud on it yet.

Thanks again for everyone's help,
Mark

mbell said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I went home last night pulled the electric fan and shroud. Installed a new 18" flex fan and a 160 degree thermostat. It now idles at 170 and was 175 in traffic.

What a waste of money - I spent $270 on that Fle-a-lite black magin electric fan to try to gain a few horses on a 408 stoker and all i gained was headakes.

Put the $38 flex fan on it and problem solved. It doesn't even have the shroud on it yet.

Thanks again for everyone's help,
Mark

Glad you have it squared away. Those black tragics are junk IMO; they don't pull ANYWHERE near the CFM they claim. I live in Phnx where we regularly see 110* in the hot months and the Mark VIII kept my rides 180-190* around town. You don't really gain HP from a fan swap, but they do look better when installed correct IMO. Anyway... :nice:

Cooling solved - now what torque converter for my C4

I learned one lesson - before I go out on my own and spend more money I will post a question here and try to learn from others first.

I am currently looking at purchasing a TCI converter for my C4. I have given all my cam specs and vehicle info to TCI and they propose a TCI Breakaway converter. They started recommending the Street Fighter model. Problem with the Street fighter is has a tendancy to run hot if driven long distances. I don't plan on racing and I would like to be able to drive 100 miles if I wanted.

Any thoughts on converters?

The C4 has been built up - kevlar bands, red line clutch packs, welded drum and shift kit.

408 stroker +/- 475 hp
3:55 gear
295/50/15 tires
770 street avenger carb
Brodix track 1 heads
Comp cam #35-246-3
Lift .519/.523 duration @ .050 230/236
Edelbrock airgap intake
1 7/8 ceramic hooker headers
9.5 compression
it's a 1969 fastback - i'm guessing 3600 pounds - does anyone know?

Thanks again,
Mark
PS - (my wife says i'm going some midlife crisis - I say I'm just building the car I aways wanted years ago but could never afford)

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished installing a 408 stoker in my 69 fastback. Approx 475 hp. I have upgraded the water pump to an Edelbrock #8843 (jeg's #), 27" x 19" aluminun 2 row radiator with Flex-a-lite black magic 3300 cfm electric fan with shroud.

The engine idle temperature is 200, in traffic it is 220 and on highway it is 200.

This seams hot - is it? I was hoping for 180. I have taken thermostat out - put it back in - it got hotter. I tried pulling the guts out of the thermostat and just installing the restrictor ring - still at 220 in traffic. I flushed out the system and tried the alcohol/water mix - still 220 in trafic.

Is this to hot - any suggestions would be apprciated
My 408w in my 67 coupe actually runs too cold, 160 to 170 via the holly sniper reading. Afr 185, mld custom cam 545 lift, jba 1 3/4 full length headers.

Here’s my 2 cents:

1. I have 1 3/4 headers, i heard that too small headers will cause overhesting in these strokers.
2. Timing too far advanced may also be an issue