Need help fast, My car is slower that a damn Yugo

stang2b

Sep 21, 2004
Mississippi
I just got this car, (95 Mustang GT, 5 speed)and I have run into problem after problem. My main thing is that the car has absolutely no power hardly at all and especially at higher rpm's. It starts out strong for about a sec then it starts lagging real bad. The car is all stock. As far as I can tell, except for the flows the guy I got it from put on right before I got the car. I have bought a fuel pressure tester and the car is holding 30lbs idling and 40lbs with the regulator unplugged. So I thought it might be a real bad backpressure problem, so I had the cats cut off and I even eliminated the smog crap under the hood, still no power increase. New K&N air filter, new temp sender and switch, new fuel filter. Still no break in loss of power.. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

stang2b said:
I just got this car, (95 Mustang GT, 5 speed)and I have run into problem after problem. My main thing is that the car has absolutely no power hardly at all and especially at higher rpm's. It starts out strong for about a sec then it starts lagging real bad. The car is all stock. As far as I can tell, except for the flows the guy I got it from put on right before I got the car. I have bought a fuel pressure tester and the car is holding 30lbs idling and 40lbs with the regulator unplugged. So I thought it might be a real bad backpressure problem, so I had the cats cut off and I even eliminated the smog crap under the hood, still no power increase. New K&N air filter, new temp sender and switch, new fuel filter. Still no break in loss of power.. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

sounds like it needs a tune up

Once again..Disconnect your negative battery cable, take apart the Mass Air Flow Housing and clean the sensor with some rubbing alcohol VERY GENTLY. DO NOT break or bend any of the sensors they are extremely fragile and use rubbing alcohol only.(with a clean q-tip or two) Good Luck man. Works wonders. You might want to pull off the little Air Charge Temp unit which is on your air intake also and clean it also with alcohol.

rude_life said:
Once again..Disconnect your negative battery cable, take apart the Mass Air Flow Housing and clean the sensor with some rubbing alcohol VERY GENTLY. DO NOT break or bend any of the sensors they are extremely fragile and use rubbing alcohol only.(with a clean q-tip or two) Good Luck man. Works wonders. You might want to pull off the little Air Charge Temp unit which is on your air intake also and clean it also with alcohol.
NO NO NO NO NO NO DONT TOUCH THAT MAF!!!! very bad thing to attempt to do. this was told to me by a ford perfermance shop machanic here!!!!! DONT TOUCH IT!!!! buy a new one!!! and go out and buy a can of throttle body cleaner as well! but then again you bought a gt conv. they are the slowest of all stangs even a stock vert. stang runs what mid to low 15's guy's ???? peace

john :p

SMOKEDYA said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO DONT TOUCH THAT MAF!!!! very bad thing to attempt to do. this was told to me by a ford perfermance shop machanic here!!!!! DONT TOUCH IT!!!! buy a new one!!! and go out and buy a can of throttle body cleaner as well! but then again you bought a gt conv. they are the slowest of all stangs even a stock vert. stang runs what mid to low 15's guy's ???? peace

Cleaned both of mine yesturday car runs great, your loss of power is the maf. Clean it and guess what? if you break it the buy another one, I was done in 15 min.

Oh I forgot to mention that my car is a GT Coupe, I sold the vert,(TO SLOW) Ironic isn't it. I cleaned my MAF and my ACT sensor last night, and this morning I got is put back it for a test drive, Man I would have never thought that a little piece of wire spring would have made my car into a snail, but it runs like brand new, plenty of power. Thanks to all for their help. I will definately keep a closer look at that thing from now on.

trust me guy's the tech that told me this isnt a money hungry shop/guy! they will go out of there way for you instead of charging you they are an awsome bunch! anyways good to see you got the prob. fixed tho!! i know also if you have a C&L the position has alittle to do with how it will idol!! BTW what kind of alchol do you use to this? peace

I cleaned my MAF and air filter out this weekend... finally my stalling problem is gone when i put it into gear with my auto. Who would have thought that cleaning 2 things would make that much of a difference. I just use rubing alcohol.