Engine Need help figuring out a distributor for my fox with a carbed crown vic engine

I have a 93 foxbody with an engine from an 89 crown vic, stock so far aside from being carb swapped. From my understanding, the block is the same but the cam is different and means a different firing order than normal HO foxbodys. I plan to put E7 or gt40/gt40p heads and an HO or aftermarket cam in at some point, so i need a distributor that would work for that. But if i wanted to get it running before that, would i need a different distributor? I have an MSD ignition system and would like to get an MSD dizzy with magnetic pickup to complete it, but im not sure what specific distributor and have been having trouble figuring it out. Does anyone have part numbers that would work for an HO style engine? And if it would require a different distributor, part numbers for one that would work on the stock crown vic engine?

• Sponsors (?)

The distributor does not control the firing order. The order the wires are run from the cap to the plugs match the firing order to the cam.
If they are both roller cams, the distributor’s gears are the same.

Are you sure you want to install May Suddenly Die parts? The stock ignition is good, and racing electrical parts do not always last with the heat of the street, especially when they are widely counterfeit.

The distributor does not control the firing order. The order the wires are run from the cap to the plugs match the firing order to the cam.
If they are both roller cams, the distributor’s gears are the same.

Are you sure you want to install May Suddenly Die parts? The stock ignition is good, and racing electrical parts do not always last with the heat of the street, especially when they are widely counterfeit
As I don't have a distributor and the car was originally a 4cyl tfi car now with a carbed v8 I have to do something.. I could do a stock style distributor but it came with other msd parts and I figured I'd keep it the same plus id assumed it would be better suited for performance and any future mods the car will get

Blasphemy! :rolleyes:
An all in one, simple, reliable, HEI based DUI distributor on a Ford should be a no brainer. But it sure triggers some purists. I have not regretted installing a self refurbished HEI in points GM.
I know but the other choices suck worse.
And they are pretty much plug and play and rock solid dependable
I hate them :doh:

I know but the other choices suck worse.
And they are pretty much plug and play and rock solid dependable
I hate them :doh:
I do not get it either. Hook up a switched 12v power wire, a tach wire, time it and go and go. Play with the springs, weights and vac advance if you want later. Sell the MSD stuff for a good portion of the cost. So what’s to hate? The cap is taller with the coil, but it cleans up the fender. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Some clearance of the intake might be needed to fit the HEI style distributor. Just in the area near where the thermostat goes. The base fir the distributor is bigger and may make adjustment more difficult. They work well though just takes some time turning the oil pump drive to just the right spot so the gear drops down and puts the rotor in the right spot to set timing.