Need help finding an exhaust leak!

mo_dingo

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2003
Tucson, AZ
I just installed a magnaflow c/b, and a bassani o/r x-pipe. Both had no apparent damage to the exterior, so I assume the exhaust leak is coming from one of the ball/socket connections.

So, I felt around each junction, when the car was running, and the only leaks I felt went away with some tightening.

So, now I don't feel any exhaust leaks, but I can smell the leak when I am driving. How do I go about tracking the leak? Would putting ATF in a vacuum line expose the leak? Any tips? Thanks!!

Scott

• Sponsors (?)

You can find if you leave car in one place rining , if leak is on botton , water gonna come out like mine between flowmasters and H-pipe , but I can't smell anything, biggest mine problem is leak in driver side header collector, I have leak there and that drive me crazy when I cruising but when I git gas pedal noise is gone :D
Anyway you can start car ,go under car and lighter up lighter , and put that lighter to pipe connections, if you have any leak air gonna move flame on lighter , good luck

Well, when the car is running, the pipes are going to get really. So I would rather be able to "see" the leak, instead of trying not to burn myself on the pipes. So, anyone have any other ideas?

But that's a good idea Ernie. Worst case scenario, I will try it. Thanks!
Scott

LOL. Well yesterday, as I was leaving from work, I backed out of my parking spot, and I hear, (ting.....ting.....ting). I thought I ran over something metal. Guess what?

One of the U-Clamps fell off of the c/b!!! :nonono:

All I needed to do was get new nuts. So, I got lock washers w/ fender washers for that connection. Every nut on the cat-back was tight as Hell!!!

So, hopefully, that is my leaking problem. It's been really windy lately, so I can't tell if the leak is still there. I will know in a few days.

Anyone else know another way to check for leaks? I can't use the lighter idea at the collector, so I need something else. The connection at the x-pipe is very tight, and I don't feel any exhaust pulses from there. But the collector :shrug:

Thanks!
Scott