need help from guys with electric fan onwers

i need to replace my radiator soon (it's leaking) but i was thinking of taking off the fan and shroud to put on a electric fan as long as i'm digging in to that area. everyone says it's a good mod. however, my only experience was 10 years ago, when a buddy put a flex-a-light on his 88 5.0 and soon after it started overheating a lot. from what i under stand a lot of it has to do with what kit you get. some are trash and some are not.

help me out guys what worked for you and what would you recommended to a freand.
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I know its more than most want to spend, but I put in the mishimoto dual fan kit. It comes with an aluminium shroud and two 12" electric fans pulling 933 CFM @ 8A each. You will need an electric fan control unless you just want to rig up a switch or something to turn them off and on manually. I used a Derale DER-16749 which has a temp sensor and is adjustable from 150 to 240. I like it and have not had any overheating problems with my car. I have posted links below to the two items I mentioned.

Mishimoto 5.0 Dual Fan Kit

Adjustable Fan Controller

Since you're in the desert, you're going to want to use something on the robust side. A combo like Kevin's is outstanding, for example.

If using JY fans, you could try a Mark VIII or 3.8L Taurus fan.