need help frpp 4.10 gear issue ?

ozan169

Oct 24, 2006
just had my frpp 4.10 gears put in and there is a whining noise coming from the axel. the only time i hear the whining noise is when i take my foot off the throttle and if the cars doing over 30mhp under 30mhp there is no noise. when i put my foot to the floor it drives lovely no noise from axel

what can it be ????

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Unfortunately your experiencing what some call normal with 4.10's, If it's not overwhelming your fine, if it's excessively loud, it's a bad install.

If it's bothering you,go back to the installer have it checked, if your skeptical on their work, go to a different shop.

My 4.10's whine on the coast as well. No loud, just enough to make me notice.

YUP!

gear noise(whine) is not normal, its from not setting up the backlash and clearances properly.

iskwezm is exactly right! You rear end should make no more noise than it did with the stock gearing. You simply have too much slop in the ring & pinion from incorrect backlash settings.

The noise will get worse over time. The gear teeth are not meshing correctly and one day it will all go away in a big bang! Take it to a real shop that knows how to set up a rear end and have it done asap. The place you went to have the work done SUCKS!

Setting the backlash is easy, and fundemental to a correct set up, and they should know that, but do not apparently.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the shop sucks. My rear end had to be taken apart in excess of 20 times to keep from wining. The s197 rear end is different than previous models. I don't know how, but it is. The guy had never had any problems before. He's done over 100 Mustangs. I've heard many people with S197's have whining issues. I would definitely take it in and have them play with the shims a little more. But if it's only whining curing coast over 30, they may not be able to get that out.

OK

I wouldn't necessarily say that the shop sucks. My rear end had to be taken apart in excess of 20 times to keep from wining. The s197 rear end is different than previous models. I don't know how, but it is. The guy had never had any problems before. He's done over 100 Mustangs. I've heard many people with S197's have whining issues. I would definitely take it in and have them play with the shims a little more. But if it's only whining curing coast over 30, they may not be able to get that out.

Your right, I shouldnt say the shop sucks, they may be great at some things.

But I admire you for your un ending patience and kindness. I just couldnt have the rear end on my 07 GT taken apart in excess of 20 times! To keep it from whining.

Well, the guy was a personal friend. He wouldn't let it leave until it didn't whine. So, luckily, I didn't actually have to take it back to him 20 times. I just had to hear about how it took him 2 days to get it just right. And I was annoyed because I dropped it off expecting it to be done in a couple of hours and it wasn't.

Well, the guy was a personal friend. He wouldn't let it leave until it didn't whine. So, luckily, I didn't actually have to take it back to him 20 times. I just had to hear about how it took him 2 days to get it just right. And I was annoyed because I dropped it off expecting it to be done in a couple of hours and it wasn't.

At least it was done right ;)

Cool

There must be more to the rear ends in our cars than usuall. And yes, as long as they got it right, thats all you wanted anyway.

For what it's worth, the new rear ends are not any different than previous generations. I've had gears installed in my '92, my '04, and my '06 all by the same mom & pop shop here in town, and all three of them have been whisper quiet, just like factory. The 92 is 3.73s, and the other two are 4.10s. All of them are Ford Racing gears.

For what it's worth, the new rear ends are not any different than previous generations. I've had gears installed in my '92, my '04, and my '06 all by the same mom & pop shop here in town, and all three of them have been whisper quiet, just like factory. The 92 is 3.73s, and the other two are 4.10s. All of them are Ford Racing gears.

While I'm not doubting you had no trouble, I disagree. I don't know enough about rear ends to know what's different, but I know that something is definitely different. Many, many people have commented on how hard it's been to get gears installed correctly, with no whine, in the S197. We know how Ford is. Maybe you got a Sn95 rear end on accident lol.

My 4.10s have whined a little from day one - mostly when I'm inbetween on/off throttle. The alum. DS and steeda shifter amplify the noise. The good thing is it's been like that for 2.5 years and I've had 0 issues with the rear end so I tend not to complain much about it. It's a lot worse in the winter because I have the windows up!

The rear axle in the S197 is EXACTLY the same as far as gear setup goes. An 8.8 center section is an 8.8 center section. There may be differences in tube and axle lengths and axle assembly mounting points, but the center section is set up in EXACTLY the same way.

Here's the source of the problem. When using FRPP gears, in almost all cases, you can simply install the gears using the exact same shims in the exact same locations as the original setup and you will get a proper pattern and backlash. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN EVERY TIME! SOooo... what happens is some guys get too confident with the FRPP gears and simply slam them in place without checking the pattern and backlash. In most cases they get by with it, but every once in a while they get bit. In your case, you got bit because the tech and the shop allowed you to get bit.

ANY TIME a carrier is removed for ANY reason, the pattern and backlash should be checked and set up if necessary upon reassembly.

BTW, checking pinion depth is not an operation in and of itself. Pinion depth is checked by checking the pattern. If the pattern and backlash are correct, then the pinion depth is correct.

SOOooo.... for me, the fact that the shop used FRPP gears and ended up with a noisy rear axle tells me that they did NOT check pattern and backlash, while assuming that it would be okay. If it were me I would be asking some questions including; who was the tech that did the work, is it normal shop practice to not properly check their work, etc.

The S197 8.8 is EXACTLY the same inside as any other 8.8 I have rebuilt a couple of S197 ones already and installed gears in a few others.

If you want i can prove this by showing you that ford has us use the EXACT same special tools for measuring the rear end.

You need to have the pinion depth set correctly and then check backlash and run a pattern on it. Then you will have no noise.

the FRPP gears also come with the same specs for all 8.8 gearsets in the instructions. they dont specify anything different for S197s. that being said, for some reason, many experinced shops are having trouble with gear whine after installation. exact cause of their frustrations has yet to be determined.

My Gears (3.73 Motive Brand) Whined for about 5000 Miles after installation. The shop told me it was due to them being made in China and the face of the gears were not cut as smooth as the FMS sets. They also stated that they would smooth out and be fine, which they have. I am now on 50K miles on them with no issues.

the FRPP gears also come with the same specs for all 8.8 gearsets in the instructions. they dont specify anything different for S197s. that being said, for some reason, many experinced shops are having trouble with gear whine after installation. exact cause of their frustrations has yet to be determined.

I guess that's what I was trying to say. I know the gears are the same. The basic components of the rear end are the same. But for some unexplained reason, experienced techs are having trouble. Something is different. It has to be. It's not just happening to a few people.