Need HELP! Have a mystery part from my 66

sparx

Sep 2, 2009
I found this part lying on the floor, very greasy (clean now) lying in the vicinity of where my steering column was setting, but then has been moved.

The part has to fit somewhere just under the turn signal switch assembly, but I am not certain. :scratch:

It fits tightly around the steering shaft itself so I have to be close as to where it goes. The OD of the part is about 15/16".

Also if it is a steering column bearing or sleeve, should it be split?

Thanks up front! :D
sparx

View attachment 240328

• Sponsors (?)

I think there is some type of bearing, been awhile since I had one apart too, but this little part cinches the spear to the bearing(?) in the center so the steering column can be removed. It usually dosen't fall out. I'd have to look at it. Can't remember exactly whats in there, but the part goes in after the column goes back in.

Mystery part

There is a bearing in the column. This sleeve centers the steering shaft in the bearing. There is a spring that goes in after the sleeve to hold it centered. After the spring comes the steering wheel.

Thanks all, Yes this sleeve fits into the bearing nice and snug.
Somewhere in this sequence the turning signal switch fits in.

Glad I found that sleeve on the floor, if I had not I would have never known I was missing it until the shaft was found to be very sloppy.

sparx

I have nothing reassembled, waiting for my rack setup to arrive. Have to cut the steering shaft and column back 2".

I found that part lying on the floor and immediately wanted to verify where it came from, it did not come off the bearing when I pulled the wheel and the column, later fell onto the floor where I found it yesterday.

sparx