Need help identifying parts under hood of 92 notch and vacuum line routing

matts90lxhatch

May 2, 2007
I recently bought a 92 notch that was already converted to carb and I was trying to figure out what a few things under the hood are and also what things can be eliminated since it's no longer fuel injected.

First off is this computer that has a harness plugged into it. What is this for and can I remove it?

View attachment 254149

And there are several vacuum lines that aren't connected and I was wondering if I could just take them out and/or what they are there for?

One here that comes out next to the a/c stuff in the firewall on the passenger side:

View attachment 254150

Some here that are connected to the vacuum tree and then two of the three go to this piece that has an electrical connection. What is this and can I remove it?

View attachment 254151

Lastly there is this line that's broken and it's going into the passenger side next to the firewall and the top of the fender. What does this go to and can I bypass it?

View attachment 254152

Thanks for any and all help guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Are there any part numbers on that box bolted to the shock tower? Neither my 89 that I got rid of or my 88 has that. Nor has ANY mustang I've ever seen have it. As far as vacuum lines go, I HAD a few great diagrams, but my POS laptop has decided to no longer power up the CPU fan so for the moment, I have lost most of my mustang diagrams and manuals. When it stops raining, I will go outside and look because I don't believe that I have a vacuum line coming out of the A/C area.

hmm maybe it is an aftermarket alarm or something. certainly doesnt look stock to me.

that stuff behind the shock tower are vacuum lines that went to the smog pump and egr I believe of which you have neither it looks like. maybe more info on the motor and car setup will help to say what you need and dont need. obviously without fuel injection and smog stuff a lot of it is obsolete.

The vacuum lines in the second and forth pic used to be connected to a three-port vacuum check valve which you don't have anymore. The check valve used to be mounted next to the cheese grater hood ground where you now only have a screw.

The vacuum line in the second pic was for a/c vent control. The vacuum line in the forth pic would go to the vacuum reservoir mounted in the fender. Both of these lines would have been connected to the check valve with a third line going over to the vacuum tree on the driver's side connected to the 'A/C' port.

Pic three is the EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid.

+1 on the black box being an aftermarket alarm component. Trace the wires to be certain, but if there's no alarm loudspeaker still mounted anywhere in there, I'd bet someone yanked most of it out and left that tidbit behind.

I hope that you didn't pay more than $500 for the car considering the RKE (Road Kill Engineering) that is typical of most EFI to carb conversions.

I hope that you didn't pay more than $500 for the car considering the RKE (Road Kill Engineering) that is typical of most EFI to carb conversions.

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking when I paid more than $500 for this car.......:rolleyes:

View attachment 253953
View attachment 253954

And the interior is near perfect as well. Built C4 auto, B&M Pro Stick shifter, Carbed 306, Holley Blue electric pump, Holley regulator, AED throttle cable, Electric Fan, MSD Billet dist., MSD 6AL, Accel coil, MSD wires, performer intake, holley 600 carb, BBK headers, off road h pipe, mac pro dumps, 3.73's out back....etc...etc...

The vacuum lines in the second and forth pic used to be connected to a three-port vacuum check valve which you don't have anymore. The check valve used to be mounted next to the cheese grater hood ground where you now only have a screw.

The vacuum line in the second pic was for a/c vent control. The vacuum line in the forth pic would go to the vacuum reservoir mounted in the fender. Both of these lines would have been connected to the check valve with a third line going over to the vacuum tree on the driver's side connected to the 'A/C' port.

Pic three is the EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid.

You named it all for me. I had posted this same thread on another site and I had someone give the same response as you.

I had forgotten about having it here too and now I have removed several things off the car and fixed all the vacuum lines on the car with new ones.

The box kinda looks like a CCRM. The housing shape and bolt mounts look similar. And they have a big letter on the white label. Was it a 4 banger car?

The box kinda looks like a CCRM. The housing shape and bolt mounts look similar. And they have a big letter on the white label. Was it a 4 banger car?

Yup I believe it was an original 2.3 car.

The car runs and drives great. And I also found out today that it already has an 8.8 swapped in it. So that's one less thing to buy. This week I'm just in the process of eliminating as many things under the hood that no longer have a purpose. I just welded a sump on a new tank and bought all the socketless AN fittings with blue 8AN socketless hose to do the fuel system the right way.

I'm currently assembling a 347 to put in the car after I'm done with the engine bay. Also going with a complete UPR tubular setup in the front with UPR uppers and lowers in the back.

Lately I have been buying cars that are already done but I'm actually really enjoying this car beings that I'm picking out everything for it personally.....:)

car looks good, something tells me that the underhood pics arnt as clean though. didnt someone on here have a problem with the welds on the upr k members?

car looks good, something tells me that the underhood pics arnt as clean though. didnt someone on here have a problem with the welds on the upr k members?

The underhood will be as clean very shortly once I rewire a few things......:)

That one upr k member that had an imperfection doesn't hinder me from buying their tubular stuff at all. There are always going to be a part here and there that shouldn't have passed QC but did. It's like that with a BUNCH of companies selling stuff right now, not just upr.

Progress Update:

Well thanks to the help from a member on another forum I was able to distinguish what to get rid of and how to do it.

Here's what has been removed so far and how it's looking at the moment. I'm going to be rewiring everything nice and neat and doing a battery relocation to the trunk this week as well and that should just about cover all the electrical stuff for now.

View attachment 253889
View attachment 253890
View attachment 253891
View attachment 253892

It's slowly starting to look less cluttered.....:)

clean car.

It's a 4 to 8 swap gone bad.

that box was the fuel pump relay I believe for the 4 cyl cars.

I'd gut every wire in the engine bay, sort out the headlight harness, run that, then connect the one or two other wires you'd need for gauges..

clean car.

It's a 4 to 8 swap gone bad.

that box was the fuel pump relay I believe for the 4 cyl cars.

I'd gut every wire in the engine bay, sort out the headlight harness, run that, then connect the one or two other wires you'd need for gauges..

The car was running and driving perfect from day one. I just wanted to get rid of all the extra stuff that I didn't need. I removed the complete main EEC engine harness and EEC and IMRC today. I left the whole ignition and charging harness in the car as I'm not going to touch that at all. Now I'm going to just run the stray wires under the hood(starter, msd box, coil, gauges..etc) nice and neat and tuck them out of the way to clean up the engine bay more.