Need help quick...car sputtering and quitting!

I have a 1986 GT 5.0 5 speed.

I have been having the surging idle problem, and I am going to go test a few things that are listed in this forum now. It has begun surging to the point that many times when I come up to a light, it will actually quit. Will start right back up, and will not do this all the time. Another symptom I've had is when I am sitting at a light at idle, the radio starts cutting out. Not all the time, but periodically. When I rev the engine, the radio comes back to normal. The belt is fine, and I am going to go check the alternator now.

Last few days, the car keep sputtering when I'm slowing down, or when I start to pull out, it will "buck" like it doesn't want to take gas. When I get on it a little harder, it runs fine. No problems getting on the highway or anything, just when driving in light traffic.

Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Update: I found that the EGR vacuum solenoid is broken. Nipple that the vacuum hose from the intake slides on is broken. I assume that there is no way the EGR could be working with this broken. Would this cause the car to run like I described?

Also, unfortunately when I pulled the hose connected to the EGR off, it snapped in two. Can I just replace the crappy plastic vacuum hose that runs from the vacuum solenoid to the EGR with a regular rubber vacuum hose?

Hopefully the local parts store will have the vacuum solenoid in stock. Anyone know what the proper name of the solenoid is?