Need Help - Tokico shocks installation

stu01

May 30, 2005
OK, so I was installing the Eibach Pro-kit springs today along with Tokico HP (blues) shocks/struts. The rears went in no problem, but when I got to the front, I changed out the spring and went to put the new Tokico strut in and it seemed too short?? I used part number HB2036, which is what I was told was needed to be run with a lowered 2001 GT Mustang because it is 1" shorter than the stock height struts. Has anyone had this problem with this setup? Also note, I was trying to install MM Caster Camber plates as well, but even without the plates the strut seemed way too short. Was I stupid to buy the shorter shock when I could have just purchased the stock length Tokico's?

Please advise as I want to get back on the road! Thanks!

Edit: Part number is actually HB3026.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I am sure you know this but there is a clip that holds the strut shaft inside the strut body so that it fits in a smaller box for shipping purposes...

I didn't see a clip holding it in. It seems that the strut is completely extended and was still too short even when I had the jack under the a-arm and the spring fully compressed.

Kind of weird. Tokico 3026 are fox bodies struts. I have them on mine ( 01 GT ) along with the Pro-Kit. Went in without trouble. They are suppose to be longer (more travelling) so they will be more effective for weight transfer at the track.:shrug:

Once intalled, there s about 4-5 threads over the bolts. I remember having some doubts while installing them and had to raise the suspension a bit more to be able to reach the shaft.

:shrug:

I dont have prokits but I got the sportlines and tokico blues along with steeda cc plates and they went in no problem. As speed545 mentioned there is only about 3-4 treads over the bolts up top....if the HB3026 worked with his '01 maybe u did get the wrong part

So I measured the strut - the shaft is 9 3/4" in legnth, while the tube is 15" long. When I lay it next to the stock strut, they are nearly identical in length (shaft end to tube end). The only difference I noticed was the placement of the lower bracket - its welded about 1.5" from the bottom of the tube, whereas the stock strut has the bracket welded almost at the bottom of the tube.

Another thing, I measure the stock caster plates with the stock strut installed compared to the how high the MM Caster Camber plates goes, and there was little difference, so it doesn't seem these are the issue, or are they?

Any other ideas? I really want to put my car back together so please help me - Thanks!