Need Help with Clutch/Cable

Good thread. I'll need a cable soon as I mentioned. What have I learned from this thread? Given the fact I installed my cable/aluminum quadrant in 1989 and can't remember the brand, I can't just order a new cable. I've read all the links and suggestions mentioned here and all of them say you must use their quadrant. (marketing ploy?)
MM or Steeda would be my choice of course but basically I'll need the whole kit. Need funding before that can happen!

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Wayne, I haven't run into that problem, and I wouldn't worry about it, too much. If you get the Steeda cable, it'll mount to any quadrant, because it's fully adjustable on the back side. If you get the MM cable, you'll need a quadrant that is designed to support a non-adjustable cable, but you'll still need a firewall adjuster. In any case, even if I'm somehow wrong (I'm not, lol), you could still piece the set together after you buy whichever cable.

Take a look at the pic I posted and talked about in this thread, and I think you'll understand:

Other than that, just check the interior side of the firewall adjuster and make sure that the cable isn't binding/rubbing against the adjuster, so that it won't fray.

Chris

Wayne, I haven't run into that problem, and I wouldn't worry about it, too much. If you get the Steeda cable, it'll mount to any quadrant, because it's fully adjustable on the back side. If you get the MM cable, you'll need a quadrant that is designed to support a non-adjustable cable, but you'll still need a firewall adjuster. In any case, even if I'm somehow wrong (I'm not, lol), you could still piece the set together after you buy whichever cable.

Take a look at the pic I posted and talked about in this thread, and I think you'll understand:

Other than that, just check the interior side of the firewall adjuster and make sure that the cable isn't binding/rubbing against the adjuster, so that it won't fray.

Chris
Thanks Chris. I'll be checking that thread out. I'd like to eventually put the firewall adjuster on but for now it would be great to just replace the cable if it will work. Back when I did this setup there were no firewall adjusters....lol. It's just an aluminum quadrant with an adjustable cable. Must have been a good one!

Thanks Chris. I'll be checking that thread out. I'd like to eventually put the firewall adjuster on but for now it would be great to just replace the cable if it will work. Back when I did this setup there were no firewall adjusters....lol. It's just an aluminum quadrant with an adjustable cable. Must have been a good one!
Because pressure plates and clutch discs wear down over time, there must be some way to adjust the cable to keep the pedal preload correct. The stock plastic quadrant had a ratcheting mechanism for this, but aftermarket aluminum quadrants require a firewall adjuster or adjustable cable. You saying you don't have a firewall adjuster at all makes me wonder if maybe all you need is an adjustment. Without one, the pressure plate fingers push outward more and more and without any adjustment effectively will cause too much preload over time, effectively like you're resting your foot on the pedal at all times. Just a thought. If you were around, I'd slip that firewall adjuster on for you in a couple mins.