Need help with Daterape interior/exterior door handle fix.

Henceforward

The Avatar Master
Founding Member
Jul 17, 2001
Need help with Daterape interior door handle fix.

Ok, I have dealt with this issue for too long, and now can't take it anymore.

Both interior door handles do not work, and I am unable to turn the lock with the door key on the passenger side door. I haven't yet pulled the panels off, but will do this shortly.

The only way to get in and out of the car is to roll the driver window down, and open from the outside. :rlaugh: Which isn't really that funny if I ever need to get out in a pinch.

Aside from complete how to, is there any quick fix, or part numbers for relevant parts I will need to replace to get all these components working again? Jumping in with the top down has been fun at times, but I feel like Tyler Durden at the airport, and the girlfriend doesn't much care for crawling in through the driver side.

At any rate, sorry to have been gone for so long, but consider this my return. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

First step is to pull off your door panels and see what's going on. For the locks, you should probably try rebuilding the actuators as opposed to buying new ones (new ones freeze up after a month typically). Someone one on this site did a nice write up of everything you need. Temporarily, you can disconnect the actuators from the locks, and just lock/unlock them manually. As for the handles, you will have to figure out if they are broken, or if you just need to reconnect them.

The door panels are held on with little plastic clips; just pry/pull strait out on the door panel and they pop out.

And where the hell have you been, sir? :nono:

The passenger side sounds like the actuator is bad. IIRC, that's the same symptoms I had with my 90, including the inside handle not working. The driver's side could very well be the same issue, but if the lock still works, it'd probably rule that out. Sounds like you're on the right track with yanking the door panels and taking a look around. Can't help with part numbers, unfortunately.

hmm my passenger side locks but wont unlock unless you jiggle the handle while hitting unlock that mean the whole actuators bad or theres just something stiff in the locks? It also makes a horrible grinding noise when you try to unlock it.

Follow this link to fix your door lock actuator problems http://bellsouthpwp.net/l/r/lrichker/Mustang_tech/door_actuator_fix/1_of_8_door_actuator.htm

Stuck with door lock actuators that don't work and don't want to pay the $50+ for a new one? Tried the junkyard ones and found that they last six months and freeze up?

A new actuator for less than $5. Fix one side for $18, do both sides for only $25. I don't sell parts, I don’t make any money off of the upgrade, I just tell you how to do it cheaply and easily.

Here’s a picture of the new actuator installed:

actuator_install_in_door.jpg

Ok, for the interior handle on the driver side the fix was really simple.

Took the panel off, removed the lower screw on the handle assembly, nudged the assembly out, and found that the male gear on the handle rod had been separated because the small pin had moved out. I slid the small rolled pin up and out, put the male gear on the handle gear, slid the pin in from the bottom, snapped the handle assembly back in, and now I can open my door.

I bought two packs of trim retainers, and will soon have a refreshed driver door. :nice:

The passenger side handle will likely be the same issue, but the lock is probably the fugged up actuator. jrichker's how to will come into play this weekend.

:nice:

The Passenger door is a nightmare. :( The door is stuck locked. I somehow removed the door panel while the door was closed, by lifting the thing out of the car with the top down.

Can I disable the actuator, or take out the actuator? How do I remove the wires?

Use of the door is the highest priority at this point.

I will have more time tonight to dig around, and figure out what to do.

Simply pop the little rod running from the actuator to the door lock out of the little clip retaining it, and then see if the lock will function manually. My guess is that the actuator itself is just frozen. By leaving the actuator unhooked, you can still operate the door as you can any manually locking door, and just use it that way until you can get the actuator taken care of. It's sort of a PIA to drill out the giant rivet that holds the actuators in, so have fun with that :D

Good news on the passenger side handle. I reset the gear, and now the handle works fine. The door is now stuck in unlock, and I can't turn the key due to the actuator?

Unlocked is far better than not being able to open it for the time being.

I will upload a number of pics to show what I am working with.

Here are the pics.

7536551.jpg

0946562.jpg

7297803.jpg

8033135.jpg

6991576.jpg

The only issue right now is the actuator rod. I am not sure how to disconnect it. I can't really see behind it. Does it have a retainer, or clip?

Move.gif

I can twist the actuator rod in a spiral motion and it moves the connection position depending on the number of turns. Most extreme outlined in the .gif

I will have more time tomorrow.