Need help with Fuel pump realated.

STROKED_LX

Jul 5, 2006
my friend has a 1986 Ford mustang turbo 2.3L and he gots mega problems i been tryin to help and im stumped!

he put a new fuel pump and the car doesnt prime up, i checked everything i could think of and still wont prime up. fuel pump relay seems to be fine, im getting voltage to the pump when i check it with a test light. weird thing is when i put battery voltage straight to the pump it turns on. but when its going threw the wireing harness it wont prime up even though im getting voltage to the pump with test light.

theres also another problem but i wont get into it till i fix this problem (car cranks but wont start) before my friend replaced the fuel pump it was working just fine. by the way only reason he replaced the pump because it all of a sudden stop working, he went a head and replaced the fuel pump before talking to me. im just wondering if anyone out there could help in any way, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

check inertia switch

Check the inertia switch to see if it got tripped or not. It's in a little access hole on the drivers side inside of the hatchback on my 91. Seriously, I hit a huge pothole once and it tripped on me. You'll get a quick voltage reading to the pump from the harness, but it'll shut off and not enable the fuel pump if it is tripped.

FYI The Ranger lovingly has is behind the passenger kick panel and a wrong placed foot will trip it too.

286K and rising:)

Is this an SVO or a turbo swapped car (used to be non-turbo)?

I'd try to scan for codes, simply because the inability to do so would indicate a bad ecu, which could also cause the fuel pump to not kick on.

Ya, you might want to check the "crash Sensor" I think its the same thing of what the above says. A little black box in the passenger side quarter panel area usually. They seem to kinda trip easily the older they get so it might have cut the power to the pump, if it still works. If not, check the wiring to see if its grounding out some where. Im having fuel problems myself so I know where your coming from.