• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Need Help With Keyless Entry

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gdude
  • Start date Start date Sep 18, 2017
G

Gdude

New Member
Sep 18, 2017
2
0
1
Sep 18, 2017
#1
  • Sep 18, 2017
  • #1
I have three Fords and I know and understand how to program the key fobs. No biggy there, my problem is with the granddaughters 2000 coupe. Her fob quit working so she switched to another fob and it worked for awhile but has stopped working. I followed the programming instructions and the locks did not activate like they usually do. Nothing at all. My first inclination is to look for a blown fuse in the circuit. It is fuse #19 and all the other things connected to that fuse work, I didn't have time to put the meter to it but assume it is good.

I will not have the car here to test until Friday, but If the fuse is good, where do I go next. I will need to find the module and pull the connector and clean it, reinstall the cable and test again. I have read that the module is located in the trunk on the drivers side on the support for the trunk hinge. Is this accurate?

Due to the outrageous cost of the modules, I don't want to just go buy a new one. I would, however, like to know the location of the module and the part number so I can find a source for another module if needed. Any help will be truly appreciated.
 

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
4,252
1,214
224
Churchton, MD
Sep 18, 2017
#2
  • Sep 18, 2017
  • #2
So, call me crazy, and I'm sure you've done your due diligence up to this point...but I'll ask anyway. Forgive me!

Have you checked the remote itself?

I only ask because something similar just happened with my 2003 Explorer. I have a remote/fob that I regularly use and when I first bought the Explorer (nearly 2 years ago) the fob worked marvelously. As time went on, it was getting intermittent but still worked a majority of the time. Then more recently, like about the past 6 months, it started getting to the point where I'd have to press the button several times before the lock would respond. Then late last week, it just seemed to quit working altogether at one point. Thinking it was the fob's battery, I cracked it open and had a look...I noticed that the little contacts that touch the battery were nearly flat up against the circuit board. I bent them downwards a bit in the hopes that they'd make better contact with the battery and sure enough, that did the trick. Now my remote is back to working 100%.

Like I stated, I'm sure you've checked all the little things out, but worth a shot anyway. Beyond that, I can't help with the larger diagnosis...sorry!
 

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
5,892
514
204
Houston Texas
Sep 18, 2017
#3
  • Sep 18, 2017
  • #3
Gdude said:
I have read that the module is located in the trunk on the drivers side on the support for the trunk hinge. Is this accurate
Click to expand...
Here's one of those cases where the model year of the car in question is really important. For the 1999+ model year the remote keyless entry is part of the Generic Electronic Module (GEM).

Per my Ford Service manual:

C352
Below left side of instrument panel

If a replacement is needed, try searching car-part.com.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
Need help!
  • Masonevans726
  • Dec 17, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
278
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Dec 17, 2025
Masonevans726
M
D
Need help for my PCM Mach1
  • Danaololo
  • Jul 30, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
206
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jul 30, 2025
Danaololo
D
89 LX Electrical Troubles
  • fun331
  • Oct 25, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
407
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 27, 2025
fun331
L
Help with 1986 GT 5 Speed Please
  • Lcasada1999
  • Mar 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
320
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 21, 2026
CAMTWO1070
1999 Mustang GT - No Start- Need help understanding the fuel pump circuit and how it works
  • 99gtGuy
  • Nov 4, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
576
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Nov 7, 2025
04newedge-
0
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?