Need help with project 93 GT

Hello I just picked up a project 93 GT that was a project from the previous owner. I’m trying to figure out what all was done or where to go from here. Sorry if this ends up being a long post.

As far as I know it’s a stock bottom end, Gt40P heads, has a cam but guy wasn’t sure if it was a B or an E 303. Has Explorer non egr upper and lower. Bbk 65mm throttle body, bbk fender intake. 24lb injectors and bbk MAF corrected for the injectors. Has msd coil, cap and rotor, Ford dizzy. Has egr delete and error eliminator. Smog pump has been removed, has eliminator pulley in place, all the solenoids on the pass strut tower are gone along with vacuum lines. Has contour electric fans and 3 row aluminum radiator. When I first got the car it needed vacuum lines hooked up and a few other things done before fire up. Dizzy was 180 spun and finally got it fired up. I still need to get a timing light and get it perfect.

So when I fire it up on cold start it will shoot up to around 1200rpm then drop down around 600 or so and die. If I hold my foot on the throttle it will stay running and once it warms up it will idle. I have adjusted the throttle stop but see there is a procedure for idle reset along with the tps. I will do that once I get it timed correctly. Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to get the car to start up and run without holding the throttle so my wife can take the car when she wants. Hopefully with the help from you guys I can accomplish this. Thanks for all the help in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you found our tech/how to thread s, look for how to check for codes but keep in mind that there will be some you can't do anything about, also check for vacuum leaks, make sure you have all the grounds in place, good charging system too.

I have checked for codes and I am getting for the TAB/TAD and egr solenoid. At first the cel wasn’t on but now it is after it runs a couples secs. I wasn’t able to pull the KOER codes for some reason not sure if it was just my error. I’ll check out the stickies and keep plugging away. Thanks

@Sconnell80

Be sure to turn off the A/C, and put the transmission in neutral when dumping the codes. On a manual transmission car, be sure to press the clutch to the floor.
Fail to do this and you will generate a code 67 and not be able to dump the Engine Running codes.

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 250,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

@Sconnell80

Be sure to turn off the A/C, and put the transmission in neutral when dumping the codes. On a manual transmission car, be sure to press the clutch to the floor.
Fail to do this and you will generate a code 67 and not be able to dump the Engine Running codes.

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 250,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

I’m actually going through this process right now, thanks for the write up. I am making progress already just getting it timed, right now I have it around 10*. First time using a timing light so I’m learning. Atleast it will fire up and idle now. Wish I knew what cam was in it as it seems pretty lumpy. If anything I’ll set idle in the 800-900rpm area.

Ok so I’ve made some process and just tinkering on the mustang. I’ve pulled codes as the CEL is on and I get codes 54, 67, 81, 82, 84 in KOEO with 54, and 96 in memory. KOER are 98, 54. 54 has to do with the ACT sensor which is brand new as it wasn’t on the car when I got it. I still haven’t placed it in the intake tube yet as planned. What can I do about the other codes so I can get this car running without running on preset perameters?

Ok so I’ve made some process and just tinkering on the mustang. I’ve pulled codes as the CEL is on and I get codes 54, 67, 81, 82, 84 in KOEO with 54, and 96 in memory. KOER are 98, 54. 54 has to do with the ACT sensor which is brand new as it wasn’t on the car when I got it. I still haven’t placed it in the intake tube yet as planned. What can I do about the other codes so I can get this car running without running on preset perameters?

Code 54 – ACT sensor out of range. Broken or damaged wiring, bad ACT sensor. Note that that if the outside air temp is below 50 degrees F that the test for the ACT can be in error.

Check the resistance of the black/white wire to battery ground. If it is less than 2 ohms, it is good. If it is more than 2 ohms, the black/white wire has bad connections or a broken wire. Always take resistance measurements with the circuit powered off.

a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.gif

eec-iv-computer-connector-for-5-0-mustang-gif.gif

See the graphic for the 10 pin connector circuit layout.
salt-pepper-10-pin-connectors-65-jpg.jpg

Then check the resistance of the ACT sender located in the #5 intake runner on most 5.0 stangs.

Code 67
Revised 18-Mar-2017 to include warning about the necessity of having a 5 speed O2 Sensor wiring harness when bypassing the wiring for test purposes

Cause of problem:
Clutch not depressed (5 speed) or car not in neutral (5 speed and auto) or not in park (auto) or A/C in On position when codes where dumped. Possible neutral safety switch or wiring problem. This code will prevent you from running the Key On Engine On tests.

External evidence from other sources claims that a code 67 can cause an idle surge condition. Do try to find and fix any issues with the switch and wiring if you get a code 67.

What the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) does:
5 speed transmission: It has no connection with the starter, and the engine can be cranked without it being connected.
Auto transmission: It is the safety interlock that prevents the starter from cranking the engine with the transmission in gear.
What it does for both 5 speed and auto transmission cars:
The computer wants to make sure the A/C is off due to the added load on the engine for the engine running computer diagnostic tests. It also checks to see that the transmission is in Neutral (5 speed and auto transmission) and the clutch depressed (T5, T56, Tremec 3550 & TKO)). This prevents the diagnostics from being run when the car is driven. Key On Engine Running test mode takes the throttle control away from the driver for several tests. This could prove hazardous if the computer was jumpered into test mode and then driven.

The following is for 5 speed cars only. Do not do this unless you are sure that you have a 5 speed O2 Sensor harness!!!! Smoke, sparks and expensive pain in the wallet may ensue if you don’t.
The NSS code 67 can be bypassed for testing. You will need to temporarily ground computer pin 30 to the chassis. Computer pin 30 uses a Lt blue/yellow wire. Remove the passenger side kick panel and then remove the plastic cover from the computer wiring connector. Use a safety pin to probe the connector from the rear. Jumper the safety pin to the ground near the computer.
Be sure to remove the jumper BEFORE attempting to drive the car!!!

a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.71316

Code 81 – Secondary Air Injection Diverter Solenoid failure AM2. The solenoid valve located on the back side of the passenger side wheel well is not functional. Possible bad wiring, bad connections, missing or defective solenoid valve. Check the solenoid valve for +12 volts at the Red wire and look for the Lt Green/Black wire to switch from +12 volts to 1 volt or less. The computer controls the valve by providing a ground path on the LT Green/Black wire for the solenoid valve.

With the with the ignition on, look for 12 volts on the red wire on the solenoid connector. No 12 volts and you have wiring problems.

With the engine running, stick a safety pin in the LT Green/Black wire for the solenoid valve & ground it. That should turn the solenoid on and cause air to flow out the port that goes to the pipe connected to the cats. If it doesn't, the valve is bad. If it does cause the airflow to switch, the computer or wiring going to the computer is not signaling the solenoid valve to open.

Putting the computer into self test mode will cause the solenoid valve to toggle. If you listen carefully, you may hear it change states.

Code 82 – Secondary Air Injection Diverter Solenoid failure AM1. Possible bad wiring, bad connections, missing or defective solenoid valve. Check the solenoid valve for +12 volts at the Red wire and look for the Red/White wire to switch from +12 volts to 1 volt or less. The computer controls the valve by providing a ground path on the Red/White wire for the solenoid valve

With the engine running, stick a safety pin in the Red/White wire for the solenoid valve & ground it. That should turn the solenoid on and cause air to flow out the port that goes to the pipe connected to the heads. If it doesn't, the valve is bad. If it does cause the airflow to switch, the computer or wiring going to the computer is not signaling the solenoid valve to open.

Both 81 & 82 codes usually mean that some uneducated person removed the solenoid control valves for the Thermactor Air system in an attempt to make the car faster. It doesn't work that way: no working control valves can cause the cat converters to choke and clog. If you do not have cat converters on the car, you can ignore the 81 & 82 codes.

Code 84 EGR Vacuum Regulator failure – Broken vacuum lines, no +12 volts, regulator coil open circuit, missing EGR vacuum regulator. The EVR regulates vacuum to the EGR valve to maintain the correct amount of vacuum. The solenoid coil should measure 20-70 Ohms resistance. The regulator has a vacuum feed on the bottom which draws from the intake manifold. The other vacuum line is regulated vacuum going to the EGR valve. One side of the EVR electrical circuit is +12 volts anytime the ignition switch is in the run position. The other side of the electrical circuit is the ground path and is controlled by the computer. The computer switches the ground on and off to control the regulator solenoid.

Code 96 causes & tests 91-93 models. – KOEO- Fuel pump monitor circuit shows no power - Fuel pump relay or battery power feed was open - Power / Fuel Pump Circuits. The fuel pump circuit lost power at one time or another.

Revised 24-Mar-2017 to add text about the A/C Wide Open Throttle relay and using the wire colors to identify which relay is the fuel pump relay

Clear the codes by disconnecting the battery and turning on the headlights for about 5 minutes before reconnecting the battery. This will clear any remaining codes. Drive the car for several days and dump the codes again. In many cases, this clears the 96 code.

Look for a failing fuel pump relay, bad connections or broken wiring. On 91 model cars, the fuel pump relay is under the driver’s seat. The fuel pump relay is located under the Mass Air Meter on Fox bodied stangs built after 91. It can be confused with the A/C Wide Open Throttle relay which is in the same area. Use the wire colors as shown in the diagram below to identify which relay is the fuel pump relay.

Diagram of the fuel pump wiring for 91-93 cars.
attachment.php

Look for power at the fuel pump - the fuel pump has a connector at the rear of the car with a pink/black wire and a black wire that goes to the fuel pump. The pink/black wire should be hot when the test connector is jumpered to the test position. To trick the fuel pump into running, find the ECC test connector and jump the connector in the lower RH corner to ground. No voltage when jumpered, check the fuel pump relay and fuse links.

attachment.php

Power feed: Look for 12 volts at the pink/black wire (power source for fuel pump relay). No voltage or low voltage, bad fuse link, bad wiring, or connections. Remember that on 92 or later models the fuel pump relay is located under the Mass Air meter. Watch out for the WOT A/C control relay on these cars, as it is located in the same place and can easily be mistaken for the fuel pump relay.

Relay: Turn on the key and jumper the ECC test connector as previously described. Look for 12 volts at the dark green\yellow wire (relay controlled power for the fuel pump). No voltage there means that the relay has failed, or there is a broken wire in the relay control circuit. Be sure to closely check the condition of the relay, wiring & socket for corrosion and damage.

attachment.php

91-93 Models:
Using the diagram, check the dark green/yellow wire from the fuel pump relay: you should see 12 volts or so. If not the relay has failed or is intermittent. Check the inertia switch: on a hatch it is on the driver’s side by the taillight. Look for a black rubber plug that pops out: if you don't find it, then loosen up the plastic trim. Check for voltage on both sides of the switch. If there is voltage on both sides, then check the Pink/black wire on the fuel pump relay: it is the power feed to the fuel pump. Good voltage there, then the fuel pump is the likely culprit since it is getting power. No voltage there, check the Pink/black wire, it is the power feed to the fuel pump relay & has a fuse link in it. Good voltage there & at the dark green/yellow wire, swap the relay.

All testing is done with the ignition switch in the Run position. Do not forget this crucial step.

The pink/black wire should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt. If not, then the fuse link for the fuel pump has opened up.

With the test jumper in place the green/yellow wire should be the same voltage as the pink/black wire +/- 0.25 volt.

If not, look at the red wire: should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt.
If not, then check the yellow wire on the EEC relay located on top of the computer. This one is hard to get to. It should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt. If not, then the fuse link for the computer has opened up.

If the red wire does not have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt and the yellow wire on the EEC relay does, then check the red/green wire on the EEC relay. It should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt. If not, then the ignition switch is defective or the fuse link in the ignition wiring harness has opened up, or the EEC relay is defective.

All testing is done with the ignition switch in the Run position. Do not forget this crucial step.

The pink/black wire s should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt. If not, then the fuse link for the fuel pump has opened up.

With the test jumper in place the green/yellow wire should be the same voltage as the pink/black wire +/- 0.25 volt.

If not, look at the red wire: should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt.
If not, then check the yellow wire on the EEC relay located on top of the computer. This one is hard to get to. It should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt. If not, then the fuse link for the computer has opened up.

If the red wire does not have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt and the yellow wire on the EEC relay does, then check the red/green wire on the EEC relay. It should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt. If not, then the ignition switch is defective or the fuse link in the ignition wiring harness has opened up, or the EEC relay is defective.

Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds
IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

Code 98 - basic computer internal tests not passed before it started processing the request to dump codes. Do a Key On Engine Off test before starting the engine. Wait until you see the 11 flash before pressing any buttons if you have a hand operated scanner. The computer is operating in Limp mode, so fix any codes it dumps prior to doing anything else.

Ok I know that the 81, 82, and 84 are because those solenoids are in a box instead of in the engine bay. Is there anything I can do like resistors in the harness to trick the computer like I do for the EGR? Also I never had the CEL come on when I first got the car fired up and running. I did notice that the driver side o2 sensor wasn’t hooked up but I found the car harness end by the transmission and hooked it up. I did have to shave off a tab on the o2 sensor though that didn’t make sense. I’ve read somewhere that code 98 could also have something to do with o2 sensors. Could the driver side o2 be the wrong one? Or the harness not be the right one for the car? The passenger side is fine. The car runs good and idles now, pulls hard, but I don’t like seeing a CEL.

Ok I know that the 81, 82, and 84 are because those solenoids are in a box instead of in the engine bay. Is there anything I can do like resistors in the harness to trick the computer like I do for the EGR? Also I never had the CEL come on when I first got the car fired up and running. I did notice that the driver side o2 sensor wasn’t hooked up but I found the car harness end by the transmission and hooked it up. I did have to shave off a tab on the o2 sensor though that didn’t make sense. I’ve read somewhere that code 98 could also have something to do with o2 sensors. Could the driver side o2 be the wrong one? Or the harness not be the right one for the car? The passenger side is fine. The car runs good and idles now, pulls hard, but I don’t like seeing a CEL.
Did you clear the codes immediately after replacing the O2 sensors? That is a necessary step any time a sensor is replaced or swapped.

How to clear codes.
Clearing the codes by pressing a button on the scan tool or disconnecting the test jumper used to start the code dump does not erase the “learned settings”. All it does is erase the stored codes in memory.

You must clear the codes anytime you replace any sensor. The following tells you how and is different from the method above
Clear the computer codes by disconnecting the battery negative terminal and turn the headlights on. Turn the headlights off and reconnect the all sensors including the MAF and anything else you may have disconnected. Then reconnect the battery negative cable.. This clears all spurious codes may have been generated while troubleshooting problems. It also clears the adaptive settings that the computer "learns" as it operates. Clearing the codes does not fix the code problems, it just gives you a clean slate to start recording what the computer sees happening.

Run the car for at least 30 minutes of driving and dump the codes again to assure that you have fixed the code problem or sensor problem. This is necessary for the computer to relearn the adaptive settings that the computer uses for proper operation. The engine may run rough at first, but should smooth out as it runs for the 15-20 minute learning period.

Ok so I disconnected the ground off the battery and turned on the headlights. Left it for 10-15mins. Came back turned off headlights and connected the ground. Also double checked everything was plugged in. Also plugged in the egr solenoid, and the 2 solenoids next to it on pass side strut mount. Fired up the car which fired up nicely, idled up then dropped like it should, better then before. CEL came on after a few seconds. Let it run for 20-30 mins and dumped codes. KOEO were 54, 67, 81. Forgot to push clutch in to see if that is causing 67. KOER are 98, and 54. I will diagnose the 54 with the write up you posted earlier. See if it’s a bad new sensor or wire issue. Hopefully that will take care of the 98 as well. As for the 81 could it be a bad solenoid as I lost 82 and 84 by hooking them up?

Ok I’m looking at the ACT wiring right now and I don’t have a black/white wire only grey/yellow and solid red. I do see that my ECT has a black/white and green/yellow wire. Where am I supposed to find the black/white wire? In the salt shaker or the ecm harness or at the sensor harness?

Alright I figured out what’s going on, the harness is for the egr purge which I don’t have but I found the black/white wire and the green/xxx wire. They have them running to the MAF which is a BBK calibrated for 24lbs injectors. Is there some mod that ties the ACT into the MAF?

Well I figured right, someone tried hacking into the MAF thinking they could run the BBK MAF like the newer slot ones that have the IAT in them. I put it back to stock and reset computer and no CEL. I still have to let it run and dump codes again to see what’s all there left. I will get a harness for the ACT and figure out where to put it.

Ok put the car on the road so I can actually test out the car and see how it does. Runs good and pulls hard. CEL stays off for the most part but popped on here and there driving. Dumped codes again and KOEO were 67, 81, 85, and 96. KOER were 3, 92, and 33. I do believe I also saw a 41 in memory.