Need help with seat belt removal

cjman15

Banned
Apr 15, 2004
Fairfield, PA
For those of you who deleted your rear seats, how did they get the bolts out that hold down the seat belts (male side)??? I got the star-head drivers, but I can't get enough torque on them to turn... any help??? I can't turn them whatsoever, tha angle is tough to get to and I've tried using a hammer to turn them...nothing

the bolts that held the female side of the belts came out pretty easily...

???

• Sponsors (?)

These are some of the hardest bolts to break on a Mustang!!

To get mine out, I had to heat them with a gas torch, then use a breaker bar. Even after being heated, it still took all my strength on the breaker bar, and I did break one of the star drivers (T45 I think it is..?).

The angle was easy on my SN95; I'm not sure how different it is on a fox body.

It's on like a 45 degree downward incline towards you... and the part where the belt rolls up into restricts your movement to try to break tha bolt...

I guess I'm just gonna try to drench it with WD-40 and keep trying... but I don't have a breaker bar... just like the star driver in the "L" shape, what can I use to get more torque on it??

I've pulled many, many seatbelt sets with a simple t50 torquez bit and a 3/8 rachet, no problems yet. Get a breaker bar if you have to. these bolts shouldn't need heating, and shouldn't be rusted, unless you've been using your mustang as a jacuzzi on sat nights.

Right -- it's a T50 bit. I woudl reccomend getting a Craftsman bit (about $7) as they won't strip either the bolt or the bit. Once you have one, you may need an extension to move your ratchet away from the floor a little, but then just wrench on it. They can be tough sometimes, but with the right bit they do come out.

BTW -- It sounds like you're using an allen key right now -- best bet is to stop now before you ruin the bolt and then you'll have a real hard time getting it out...

89MustangGX said:
Right -- it's a T50 bit. I woudl reccomend getting a Craftsman bit (about $7) as they won't strip either the bolt or the bit. Once you have one, you may need an extension to move your ratchet away from the floor a little, but then just wrench on it. They can be tough sometimes, but with the right bit they do come out.

BTW -- It sounds like you're using an allen key right now -- best bet is to stop now before you ruin the bolt and then you'll have a real hard time getting it out...

lol, it's a great knuckle buster when the strip and you lose grip, ditto on the craftsman bit.

cjman15 said:
It's on like a 45 degree downward incline towards you... and the part where the belt rolls up into restricts your movement to try to break tha bolt...

I guess I'm just gonna try to drench it with WD-40 and keep trying... but I don't have a breaker bar... just like the star driver in the "L" shape, what can I use to get more torque on it??

im not exactly sure of the angle, but try to put all of your body weight into the wrench. Also, to multiply the torque, you need more leverage. Get a pipe to fit over the wrench. If you dont have a pipe, get a large enough socket to fit over the wrench and use an extension. ive done the seat delete but havent taken out the seatbelts. they are just dangling from the top. The female part is out though.

You WILL need to torch it if it's being pissy. I did it the dangerous way:

I left a torch leaned in pointing at the bolt tail then went inside and just sat there blasting away with an impact hammer. Took a solid minute of impacting to get it to start spinning. It also helps to get a HUGE hammer and give a solid blow on the face of the bolt before you begin. Shakes things up a bit and might break the crustiness loose.

2 words----PB Blaster. I tried to use a impact on the bolts u are talking about. With no luck. I hit them with PB Blaster for a few minutes (more like 10 minutes). Went back out to the garage and used a 1/2 ratchet and extension on them piece of cake.