Need help with the clutch pedal spring...

Anyone got any secret way to install the clutch pedal spring?
271815.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Put it in a vice and pull the spring apart, insert quarters inbetween the coils until you have the length you need for installation. Then pull the quarters one at a time with plyers after you have installed it.

Tim

I don't have the spring installed in my car. Doesn't seem to make a difference to me. There should be at least 1 other spring connected to the Z-bar to assist in pushing the pedal back up.

That is a clutch assist spring, not a return spring. Ford put it in for the girls who can't drive a 4-speed with a stiff clutch. I remove them from all of our cars. They put a lot of wear into the pedal bushings.

They do make a nice center piece for a car parts wind chime :rlaugh:

I don't have the spring installed in my car. Doesn't seem to make a difference to me. There should be at least 1 other spring connected to the Z-bar to assist in pushing the pedal back up.

i only got this spring for my clutch installation.

So i don't need the spring? Sweet. i was thinking about not using it but i thought maybe something won't work right if i don't.

If you have a diaphragm clutch then you do NOT want the spring.

If you want to install it - I use a floor jack to stretch the spring. Hook one under the front axle and the other on the jack pad. Stretch and install washers, put into place, pull out washers.

Yep if it's a diaphragm clutch it'll suck the pedal right to the floor and stay there. If you're still using a Long-style clutch then you might appreciate the extra few lbs. it removes from the pedal but I never installed mine when I did have a Long.