Need Help With Transmission

5oundbit3

Oct 17, 2015
trying to locate the dipstick tube connecting point on a t45 transmission in a 99 mustang. does anyone know where it is or have a picture? im pretty sure the tube was taken off and now its just an open hole but i need to know where to feel for it before im sure. there doesnt seem to be a dipstick or tube anywhere in the engine bay where it should be or anywhere else.

• Sponsors (?)

There's not a dipstick tube on the T45 (or the overwhelming majority of other manual transmissions, I've honestly never seen a manual with a dipstick, the only reason I'm not saying that there never was a manual with a dipstick is because this is the internet, and someone somewhere will read this and mention some obscure car that actually did).

On the side of the case of the transmission itself is a drain plug (towards the bottom) and a fill plug (usually between halfway up and the top). They usually use either a torx, an allen, or a 3/8-drive ratchet to get them out.

Thanks! I saw the manual and it specified automatic tran dipstick then i saw a bunch of dipsticks advertised when i searched manual t45 dipstick so all the bs ads threw me off and the search for the nonexistant began. is there a way to know if the transmission needs fluid or whats the standard for manual transmissions? when in doubt change it out?

Thanks! I saw the manual and it specified automatic tran dipstick then i saw a bunch of dipsticks advertised when i searched manual t45 dipstick so all the bs ads threw me off and the search for the nonexistant began. is there a way to know if the transmission needs fluid or whats the standard for manual transmissions? when in doubt change it out?
It takes 3.28 quarts of Mercon transmission fluid (Parts stores will sell it as DexronIII/Mercon). Just make sure you get the basic stuff without any kind of sealing or "high mileage" additives. The bottle will say "automatic transmission fluid" on it, but this is the correct stuff for the T45 (as well as the World-Class T5, and the TR3650) Ford has been using automatic fluid in their manuals for over 20 years now. The full level for that trans is either right at the upper plug or just below it, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Reactions: 1 user
the mod is right

full is just a tad below where it will flow out the fill plug. as to the fluid it self I found my t 5's all shift better with royal purple syncromesh manaul gear oil or gm standard shift fluids. mercron, dextron is the correct stuff going by any book , just my personal finding is a little less gear whine is heard inside with the others.