Engine Need help???

mchalejj

Jun 22, 2008
Hi all....my 1990 5.0 has been a work in progress over the past year or so. Installed a V3 kit on it a while back, then the car was in the shop for a while handling another issue. Didn't really drive it much after V3 was installed. I also installed a smog delete pulley on the car at that time. Was just looking under the hood this winter and noticed that the belt has been shaved down a rib and needs to be replaced. Looks like this bolt coming from the smog delete pulley is sticking out and was making contact with the belt. I had to move the alternator location for the v3.
Glad l saw this while the car is in my garage. My question is, is this bolt in backwards or am l missing something? Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20200206_100425~2.jpg
    IMG_20200206_100425~2.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Sponsors (?)

Cooling fan is backwards. No idea about that bolt but it doesn't look like its contacting the belt to cause that patter. I use one of those big aluminum rulers to check and make sure all the pullies line up. Ya' know, the big 90° rulers.

Looks like a pulley may be out of alignment.

Thanks for the replies...yes the fan is definitely in backwards. I will most likely replace this with a Contour dual electric fan.
As far as the belt...l am pretty sure it's contacting the end of that bolt..was just looking for suggestions...if someone knew if it was in backwards or if l just need to cut the end down.

One thing l noticed while looking over the Vortech instructions this morning is that l didn't use the .920 spacer between the Vortech plate and the smog pump delete pulley. See pic...could this be my problem? Does this spacer still get used when using a smog delete pulley?

Attachments

• IMG_20200208_110557~2.jpg
    IMG_20200208_110557~2.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20200208_104738.jpg
    IMG_20200208_104738.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 89
Cooling fan is backwards. No idea about that bolt but it doesn't look like its contacting the belt to cause that patter. I use one of those big aluminum rulers to check and make sure all the pullies line up. Ya' know, the big 90° rulers.

Looks like a pulley may be out of alignment.
A 90 degree ruler is called a square around the construction site, not because it is a Square, but Square is what we call boards at 90 degrees. I doubt most construction folks will mind it being used for this as long as it remains flat and you cleaned off the grease after, as checking alignment with it was a good idea.

Reactions: 1 user
At the time I couldn't think of the name of it.
In jazz terms, a square also refers to someone who can only play in a classical or older pop style, and that migrated to also mean a stick in the mud.
I was trying to give you a little heck about a square by being square. I think it ended up going nowhere, like too many right turns.
So is the car fixed with or without the spacer?

Reactions: 1 user