Need new quad shocks on the cheap. What say you?

ChillPhatCat

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 22, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Just had some work done on the mustang, new calipers and rotors in the back and the guy at my shop showed me that my quad shocks are leaking like crazy while it was on the lift.

I've been looking around for a while for replacements and rarely do I find "quad shock" as the description. Is there a different name for these, or what? What do you all recommend I use if I just want to replace the parts with something cheap that won't flat out suck?

Is this the shock I'm looking for? KYB Shocks & Struts KG4521 - KYB Gas-a-Just Shocks and Struts - Application - SummitRacing.com And is it any good? I'm ok with it performing like stock as long as it isn't a piece of crap and will last a while.

I can do this over the summer myself, just need to know the part to buy and not break the bank.

TIA

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I will probably buy these just on account of their price alone. I've not heard too much bad about KYB. The fiancee is not too pleased that I've spent about $1500 on repairs/mods on the Mustang in the last 6 months. :p I keep telling her if we had a big Garage with a house attached I could do most of this stuff myself.

Yeah, I will probably buy these just on account of their price alone. I've not heard too much bad about KYB. The fiancee is not too pleased that I've spent about $1500 on repairs/mods on the Mustang in the last 6 months. :p I keep telling her if we had a big Garage with a house attached I could do most of this stuff myself.

Sorry to derail, but take my advice BUY AS MANY THINGS FOR YOUR CAR AS YOU CAN BEFORE YOU GET MARRIED

I've been married almost 5 years and a good friend told me that advice a couple years before my wedding. I ended up spending a bunch of money on suspension, exhaust, and other go fast parts and she was none the wiser. Now though, she's got an eagle eye out for my finances. When I buy stuff I do it on the credit card that doesn't have statements mailed to the house, and I am sure to stay home from work when the UPS man is scheduled to arrive... it's really lame...

lol, thats why I take care of all the bills myself. Both our checks are direct deposit, and I pay all the monthly bills and the wife never even looks at the bank besides seeing the balance if she takes out money.

I bought my vortech about 8 months ago and I probly realisticly spent about $6K since then all together. She still has no idea, besides that I'm painting it.

Reason you can't find quad shocks at parts stores is because they are listed in the computer incorrectly.

Thy are listed as a "steering dampener" that's what you need to search for.

Auto zone sells Gabriels for cheap

Oh I haven't gone to any auto parts stores... just looking online. I found that a lot of sites list the part as an "Axle Damper" as well.

lol thanks for the marriage advice guys, but it's too late for me, not much money available to spend and the thing is going down in just over 3 months. I have plunked down about $8k in car mods for a couple past vehicles in the last 6 years, so I'm not all innocent that way. :p

Monroe #32355 is what you need - they're about $25 a piece at your local parts store (O'Reilly has them where I live) or a couple bucks cheaper at Rock Auto.

If you go into the store, take the part# with you and tell them that's what you want because the counter guys had a hard time figuring out what I wanted and couldn't find it in the computer by lookup and at another place the part was miscategorized and Mustangs weren't even listed as an application for it when I looked online.

Sorry to derail, but take my advice BUY AS MANY THINGS FOR YOUR CAR AS YOU CAN BEFORE YOU GET MARRIED

I've been married almost 5 years and a good friend told me that advice a couple years before my wedding. I ended up spending a bunch of money on suspension, exhaust, and other go fast parts and she was none the wiser. Now though, she's got an eagle eye out for my finances. When I buy stuff I do it on the credit card that doesn't have statements mailed to the house, and I am sure to stay home from work when the UPS man is scheduled to arrive... it's really lame...

HAHAHA~!!!! I feel your pain! I catch hell for ANYTHING i want to do to my car... whether its routine maintenance or go fast parts... i used to tell my non-car savvy wife that something was broke and needed to be replaced, just to 'replace it' with a go fast part... she got smart to it though, and now she doesnt believe a word that comes out of my mouth when it comes to my car... i even catch hell for wiper blades at this point... LOL (i guess that is what happens when you spend 6k on a blower kit) SO, take his advice... do unspeakably irresponsible things to your car BEFORE you get married... blow up your credit card! then when you get married, it becomes marital debt and she can help you pay it off... :nice: