Need Opinions

The Shape

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2002
East ARKANSAS Delta
Currently I drive an '09 Tacoma with 38k miles. Great reliable truck, but I owe another three years of payments and am kind of tired of making payments on something I only drive a out 10 miles round trip to work each day. I have thought of taking it to Carmax to see what the would give me for it. I owe about 1400 less than nada rough trade in. Was hoping I might be able to at least break even by selling it.

There are always a couple of clean stockish foxes on CL around here for between 4-5k. I could get that through my credit union for 50 pucks or so a pay period and lower my monthly bills. Thought about picking up one of those to DD for a while and then picking up a beater pickup later on.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I have thought of that, I did DD a fox for about 7 years I remember well all the little issues. Mine only left me stranded once when the TFI module died, but I was probably lucky. I have become spoiled by the Yota, I know it's going to crank and get from A-B. I appreciate your input Grover.

Keep the taco for DD duties. Save up for another fox. I recently traded in my '06 Tacoma, amazing truck but I needed something better on the highway and gas. Everytime I need the bed space I regret trading it in:(

Keep truck buy a fox .... the dd fox thing gets old .... owning a dd makes me look forward to using my car when I am not working

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

I'm sure you guys are right, the Yota will probably last me forever. I need to keep it for reliability and a fox for fun. I even test drove a few S197 cars with the idea of trading the truck for one, but as nice as they are they just aren't a fox. I guess I am stuck in a time warp

True, they are but I can't get passed my love of Fox Bodies. The new edge cars are technically superior I know.
I love my fox but handling , stopping turning radius and overall car it was a great daily my 00gt minus the winters

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

True, they are but I can't get passed my love of Fox Bodies. The new edge cars are technically superior I know.

IDK about superior. I had a 99 Cobra which I liked a lot. The Foxes are cheaper to mod, but rattle more. The new cars ride better, but I don't like the seating position, it just depends on what you are more comfortable in. Personally once I get more garage space I might pick up an 01 Bullitt if I can find a DHG one for a decent price.

Using any 20+ year old car or a DD is going to present its share of problems. Using a 20+ year old sports car as a DD is going to almost assure you problems. Using a 20+ year old Mustang as a DD is asking for problems IMO. Unless you buy either a bone stock low mile or cherry fox that someone has built - both are going to be top dollar- you are most likely buying a car that has been ragged on and abused.

I bought a low mile stock car and still have put over 2 grand into it in in less than a year. I thought because it was low miles it was not going to need much work. Wrong. I knew the PO was an old guy that used it as a weekend beach toy who knew nothing about cars but it was solid and not ragged on.

So far I have replaced

alternator -130 amp 3g and wiring
transmission lines , filter and fluid
brake pads and rotors
hood - Cervini hood and pins
rear convertible top
Exhaust -headers, h pipe, flowmasters
Top end- Explorer intake, heads, gaskets, bolts, thermostat
70MM throttle body, spacer
70MM MAF
BBK CAI
clutch fan with taurus E fan and FAL VSC controller
pulleys
6 pc headlights
maintentence- plugs, wires, cap, rotor, filters, hoses, belts.
B&M shifter
seats- 2002 power leather
window moldings
door strikers and bushings
O2 sensor
Tie rods
Aligment
Rear Main seal
Oil pan gasket
Tinted windows
Window switch

Still my DD, but getting tired of driving it every day.

Next will be tires and 3.73's..... then when I am bored an S trim. I promised myself I would keep it a DD just like you are now.....lol

I finally stopped driving my 89 daily about 4 years ago. My current DD is an 04 Cobra. The 04 does have better brakes, and the HVAC system all works great (unlike the 89 at this point...), but the 89 easily out handles the 04 around curves, with the primary difference being weight - the 89 is roughly 600 pounds lighter. Same at the strip, the 04 has a little more power, but less power to weight, so the 89 is the quicker car. Sure do love those Cobra seats though...and the stereo is pretty nice for a factory system.