NEED PAINT HELP!

Notch21

Mar 13, 2004
im gonna go ahead and paint my 87 gt by myself ive painted boats before wit gelcoat and other things wit spray guns so i now how to use a spray gun pretty good my question if for a full paint job on my stang what do u guy recommend for primers? how many coats ? top coats? clear coats? and what kinda grits of paper to work with ? if someone could help me out here so i dont waste my time and money id appreciate it ..

• Sponsors (?)

I personally use DuPont for most of my paint work, but also use House of Kolor if the budget can take it. I recommend staying with one brand through the project ( primer/sealer/color/clear ) DuPont VariPrime is very good as well as their clearcoats. I like using HyperClear in the winter months or if it is cooler in your area this time of year, it will dry much faster and the chance of getting trash in the clear is minimized. One thing to note, pull the bumpers, fenders, and hood if you can and shoot those seperately, and re-install. If you don't do this, keep an eye on the front of the fender that matches up with the front bumper, mainly on the top side, if the clear dries over that edge you may have a peel later on down the road.

Subscribing to this.... Also debating to paint my car. I have had plenty of experience doing prep work, but none for spraying. I figure I will practice on a few parts first. I don't want to intrude on this topic, but what spray guns should I purchase?

I had my car painted with emeron paint.It is harder then the aircraft paint some use.If ya get a chip it stays same size it doesn't keep flaking off.The guy who painted my car mixed color in with the final coat of clear to give it that wet look and to help take buffin many time.It is used in factories for machinery so they just have to used compressed air to clean stuff of.It is very expensive but so is a good paint job its somethin you do once so why not save enough cash to have it done right.

Go to the dealer your going to buy your materials from and ask for product bulletins on all the products your going to use.
They will tell you application procedures, fluid tips to use, air pressure, coats, dry times, tape time, dust free time, reduction charts, compatible topcoats and undercoats, eveything you need to know.
As far as primers, for a primer surfacer, spray and let dry usually 4 hours, unless reduced then its 2(PPG K36 primer) then sand with a DA and 320, or block sand with 320 grit paper, once you get all the orange peel out of the primer and its smooth, then wetsand with 500grit paper, and then its ready for basecoat. If your primer sits more than 24hrs you will have to rescuff it, scotchbrite works well for that. Always spray basecoat until hiding, usually2-3 coats and then clear with another 2 coats minimum.