NEED QUICK HELP: Tips for easy removal of the power steering pressure hose??

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
From the steering rack, that is. There are 3 lines that go to it, one being a return line i think, one being the pressure hose, and this other one that doesnt look like it unscrews at all??? This line in question is blocking my wrench from removing either of the other lines that screw in. Basically the pump end of my pressure line is trashed and i need to replace the whole line.

To put a long story short, i actually butchered a new line trying to transplant the end of the line onto the old one since i couldnt get the rack end off, which only led to busting every clamp/hose job i rigged up and drowning my motor in power steering fluid. Yes i'm pissed off.

Basically i need to drive this car to work Monday morning, and i'm buying the new line at 8am Saturday morning. If ANYONE has any tips for removing these lines or anything related, i'm in a tight spot and could use the help. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

three lines?? i just replaced my rack about a month ago, an there was only two lines... a pressure side, an return side. I think you may be talking about the hard line that runs across the rack in order to circulate the fluid. Mine came off with no problem, but then again i was using a short wrench. You may have to butcher a wrench to get it off... Good luck!!!

Yea you're right....there are only 2 lines that run to and from the pump, but that circulation line is in the way of getting a wrench onto the bolts to unscrew the other 2 lines. Does that circulation line come off or is it just permanant? It's gotta come off somehow in case it needs replaced right?

This is not as bad as it seems. I have done it under extreme circumstances. Because the pressure hose circlip broke and the hose fell out of the pump. Real pain.

If you leave the rack in place, you will most likely have to remove the return line to be able to get wrenches on the pressure line. Use line or tube wrenches, especially on the return fitting that you want to use over again. The other lines do not need to come apart.

Removing the rack mounting bolts may help get some room, but you still need to be careful of the rag joint and intermediate shaft.

Couple suggestions. If the pressure line is trash anyway, cut it a couple inches away from the rack and use a box end wrench. You can try to cut it closer and use a socket, but you want to keep trash out of the rack. You can install the new one carefully with tube wrenches.

Be careful, the o rings and such on the hose ends are delicate. They work fine, you just have to be careful with them.

The pressure hose sees up to 1200 psi, so it is not a good candidate for hose clamp fixes.

The pressure hose sees up to 1200 psi, so it is not a good candidate for hose clamp fixes.

Boy did i learn that the hard way...lol

Well it's finished, and i have to say this was the most agrivating thing i've had to replace on my car yet. It only took me about 15 minutes to get the old hose off, but it took an entire hour and a half to get the new one back on!!! I couldnt for the life of me get the new one to thread up! Man i was so pissed....every time it would start to catch, i'd put a wrench on it and the weight/flex of the hose would pop it out of thread and i'd have to start over. Not to mention the entire underside of my car is COVERED in power steering fluid, so i was a complete greasy mess from the elbows down.

I'm actually kinda proud of this one. I have a friend who's on his 19th Mustang, and he's pretty much done a complete tear down and rebuild if you add up everything he's done. He took one look at the line and said i'd either have to drop the rach or have someone do it for me...lol He said he's been through the same thing and it's too much of a PITA to do it yourself.

Anyways, thanks for the help. Chalk one more up for the parking lot mechanic!