Need recommendations for new front suspension components

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
I’m planning on a front suspension overhaul in the next few weeks, and I wanted to get recommendations on what to get. I’m currently deciding between going with a proven setup, such as 620 coils and poly bushings (and possibly Opentracker’s roller perches and/or upgraded control arms as well) versus a complete aftermarket setup (CPP being the example in my head, though I know there are others).

I already have (and don’t really want to change unless necessary... let me know if any of these new parts won’t work with the potential setups): a 1” addco front sway bar, KYB Gas-A-Justs, and the Shelby drop done, as well as a Granada disc brake setup.

So, I was wondering if someone could give me some proven brands/part #s for (as well as a place to get them):
a) 620, 1” drop coils
b) Poly bushings

Next, could anyone explain the advantages (and disadvantages, as well as any known compatibility issues) of both aftermarket control arms and Opentracker’s roller perch setup? If they’re worthwhile I don’t mind splurging for them, but I don’t need suspension components simply to list them in my sig.

And finally… how would this setup compare with CPP’s? I drove Rusty67’s CPP-equipped 67 and liked it quite a bit, though we only had a chance to drive it a few miles. Since it’s a new setup I’d hate to get it and then find that it has some random innate design flaw down the road, but it seemed nice from what I got to see. Is it worth the extra few $$?

I also only drive the car a few times a week, don’t mind it being on the stiff side (though I don’t want to lose any teeth), and want it to be able to carve corners some as well as accelerate.

I apologize for the book of a post, and thanks for any advice you can give. If you need any more information let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

Couple random things that may or may not matter… I’d like to have a minor rake to my car. Currently, the rear leafs are stock height (slightly stiffer than stock). Right now I have a rake, primarily because I have 225 60r15s in back and 225 50r15s in front (and probably somewhat because I have saggy springs… see my other thread for more detail). Will the 1” drop springs give me that rake with the stock rears (I’ll also be switching to 225 50r15s in the rear, or so goes the plan)? Will it be too much? Too little?

Also, I would prefer to not cut the coils. Seems people have horror stories pretty regularly trying to get their springs to sit right and cutting coils and going too far etc... if some brands of spring are less reliable or predictable in height than others, I'd like to avoid them.

I am still looking for the right front springs, I did the Shelby drop and have the 480 lb 1" drop springs from NPD. The front is too low with those springs combined with the Shelby drop. I need to adjust out some of the negative camber, but it's so close, I think my 225/60-14s will rub. Also I think the springs are too stiff. I'm thinking of just going back to my stock original GT Springs, just to see where it sits with the Shelby drop.

It would be too difficult to pick a spring and have the front sit right where you want it on the first try. Whatever you get, don't buy drop springs. Put them in, see how it looks and if need be, cut only 1/4 to 1/2 coil at a time until you get the results you desire.

I got a 1" sway bar with my setup and is a big improvement over the old 13/16 bar. I also have the spring perches and adjustable strut rods, but can't say whether they are individually that big of an improvement or not, because I changed so many things at once.

Go see Marlon. He has some really nice bronze-bushed upper control arms and spring perches. Also he is probably the best for any Mustang/Cougar suspension advice and work in Southern California.

www.fly-ford.com

I've seen Marlon. He told me he probably wouldn't want to work on my car because the 351w and my clutch cable position make access difficult. His parts were impressive, to the naked eye anyway, but Rusty67 has offered to help me do it myself and I might as well save the $ and get some experience.

620s are the stiffer ones, right? What options are there (and what rate are the stockers, for comparison)? Also, where did you get the spring rates from NPD... last tiem I checked I couldn't find the spring rates in their catalog... though it has been a while.

I'm assuming polyurethane bushings are just polyurethane bushings then? No major difference between different brands?

And i could still use more advice regarding the roller perches and aftermarket control arms. Need some people with experience to tell me the difference they make.

Talk to John at Opentracker racing products, he won't sell you more than you need and is very knowledgeable about these front end setups.

Good advice to take. I spoke w/ him last year, and he is very knowledgeable AND helpful. Helluva guy. As Grabber said, he won't sell you what you don't need. When I spoke w/ him, I was intending to do my front end very soon. Some family concerns have pushed that back to this summer, but I will definitely be calling him again soon. He also is a distributor for brands other than his Opentracker stuff, and I think he would give you an honest opinion on comparison.

FWIW, I've already bought his roller spring perches. I haven't installed them yet, but can't wait to get them on when the weather warms up. After many searches, I have NEVER seen anything other than positive feedback on them.

Good luck in deciding!

FYI--If you talk w/ John at Opentracker, he once told me that it's easier to reach him if you call vs. sending email. He always responded to emails as well, but I think he's able to respond quicker and easier via phone.