Fox Need some advice on rocker arms

• Sponsors (?)

The scorpion 1.6 pedestal mount roller rockers have worked the best for me on stock style heads. I had a set that went in 3 different engines over a 10 year period. They are still working flawlessly after being sold 8 years ago. This is on the LMR website

Screenshot_20230415_235529_Chrome.jpg

You will probably need these also.

Screenshot_20230415_235833_Chrome.jpg

The cam, rockers are all that I'm planning to do on it in the future, I have done the exhaust to include the headers. I don't want to make it to much, just a little fun in a daily driver

I’d probably just leave stock rockers on there, then upgrade the springs and pushrods.

If you really want to change the rockers I’d look into scorpions, but for essentially a stock engine with a cam I wouldn’t bother.

Reactions: 1 users
So stock heads have pedestal mount and aftermarket heads can have pedestal, stud, or shaft mount but I would say stud is the most common. Differences can be seen here:

View: https://youtu.be/UV8zjWX-v4A

If you are keeping the stock heads then pedestal mount is what you have and the stock ones work really well. I would not go with a B cam as the exhaust ports are severely restrictive on stock heads. You need a cam the will have a little overlap to help with scavenging. I’m no expert but I’m pretty sure that would be the way to go. Couple of knowledgeable guys are already on this thread that can help you out.

My understanding is that true roller rockers might get you a tenth of a second in a full blown race motor...
I did not want to use my old rocker arms as I felt they must have some fatigue after pushing on a valve spring a couple of trillion times but I am pretty sure they would work fine.....
Was going to buy some new stock rocker arms but chose to use some roller tip rockers... My understanding is they help prevent or eliminate valve guide wear.......
DSCF0833.JPG

Last edited:
My understanding is that true roller rockers might get you a tenth of a second in a full blown race motor...
It can be more than that. It is one thing to get less friction from the roller rocker arms compared to stock. The real benefit is in the accuracy of the rocker ratio across all 16 rocker arms. The stamped rocker arms can vary quite a bit, while a QUALITY set of roller rocker arms will be spot on. A lot also depends on how the rockers are set up. Just bolt on and go only gets you so much. If you go through the effort to make sure the swept area of the roller tip is centered on the valve stem, you can lower guide wear and make for more accurate valve timing events. All of the above are especially important on an engine that sees higher than normal engine rpm.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
It can be more than that. It is one thing to get less friction from the roller rocker arms compared to stock. The real benefit is in the accuracy of the rocker ratio across all 16 rocker arms. The stamped rocker arms can vary quite a bit, while a QUALITY set of roller rocker arms will be spot on. A lot also depends on how the rockers are set up. Just bolt on and go only gets you so much. If you go through the effort to make sure the swept area of the roller tip is centered on the valve stem, you can lower guide wear and make for more accurate valve timing events. All of the above are especially important on an engine that sees higher than normal engine rpm.
No arguments from me on that.... My point being that based on what the OP wants to do to his engine, roller rockers are a waste of money, in my opinion....

Reactions: 1 user