Need Some HCI Assistance

joeballz83

Mar 1, 2023
New to this forum thing. Looking to get my hands on a alphabet cam and nice set of heads and intake/MAF and hopefully some headers. Some direction on where to find these would be greatly appreciated. Thx

• Sponsors (?)

I would ditch the alphabet cam and get a custom cam spec'd out for your combo. I'd contact Woody at Fordstrokers and have him set you up with a combo that would work for you.

Ed Curtis. Run two of his cams and hands down the best. Ed can spec the cam, heads, and intake along with the valve train to go into the heads. Woody is legit as well so you cannot go wrong either way.

Remember that quality is not cheap and you are paying for these gentlemen's years of knowledge and hands on experiences as well as the gear.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're looking for an alphabet cam, I think the best place to get one would probably be Craigslist or Marketplace. I don't know if I'd spend the money on new. For example, a couple years ago I picked up a FMS "B" cam off of CL for maybe $50. You'll definitely need to be in the right place at the right time though....

I'd suggest settling on what heads you'd like to get and buy the corresponding parts according to their characteristics. If you've got the time, I think this video will help explain why I say that.

View: https://youtu.be/JPAeepqrY-0

• Useful
Remember that the cam shaft if the brains of the motor. You need to know what your goals are for hp, torque, and how you will use the car. From there talk with someone that knows camshafts and understands your goals. If you are sticking with an existing short block then they need to know this as well. If you plan on going to more displacement later down the road they need to know this as well.

I told Ed that I was going to move to a 331 at a later date so I chose to go with a cam that was 100% ideal for my 306 knowing it would drop in the 331 and perform even better and it did what Ed said it would do.

I had an off the shelf split duration Comp Cam in the 306 before the Ed Curtis 306 and it worked really well but for damn near the same money I could have had a custom grind that would have performed better.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Ed Curtis. Run two of his cams and hands down the best. Ed can spec the cam, heads, and intake along with the valve train to go into the heads. Woody is legit as well so you cannot go wrong either way.

Remember that quality is not cheap and you are paying for these gentlemen's years of knowledge and hands on experiences as well as the gear.
I forgot about Ed. Great guy to get you set up as well.

100% agree with this.

If you're looking for an alphabet cam, I think the best place to get one would probably be Craigslist or Marketplace. I don't know if I'd spend the money on new. For example, a couple years ago I picked up a FMS "B" cam off of CL for maybe $50. You'll definitely need to be in the right place at the right time though....

I'd suggest settling on what heads you'd like to get and buy the corresponding parts according to their characteristics. If you've got the time, I think this video will help explain why I say that.

View: https://youtu.be/JPAeepqrY-0

Ed Curtis responded to this video that this guy knew nothing..... I found the video interesting and it helped me with my cam choice...
Only brought this up because both were in this post....

b cam nstall.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I have an "E" cam in my car but it's been in there for over 18 years. At that time all I knew was what I read in the mustang magazines. If I was doing it all over again I would definitely pay the extra for a custom set up for my needs and wants. Although the S-Trim in my car helps out a good amount.