Need some help clearing up brake issues

DJCarbine

May 4, 2005
Ok, in short I am converting a 66 manual drum vehicle to front manual disc and rear manual drum. I did some searches, and came up with some conflicting and vague results.

The particular swap I am doing (scarebird) requires a 1967+ dual resevoir master cylinder for disc/drum manual brakes. I went to autozone, and they had reman. units for 30 bucks. The unit I got had 2 bowls of the same size. I thought the manual disc/drum units had a smaller bowl for the drum, and larger bowl for the discs? I went back to autozone and the guy kept pulling up the same number for the master cylinder. Is this correct/will it work? Is autozone incorrect? Are they trying to kill me? :shrug:

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I find it hard to believe your local AutoZone would have a 67 Stang master cylinder in stock. Back when I did mine, I used a 70 or 71 Ford Custom M/C for mine. It, too was for a manual front disc, rear drum application, but had a larger bore than the Stang. And the reserviors were small/large like most.

My autozone is *supposed* to have one in stock. Surprised me too, but what they tell me and what the truth is when I get there is usually 2 different things. :mad:

I agree, it should be large/small. You could always go back and ask for a trusy 74 Maverick MC. I even had a parts store goon tell me one time that 67s didnt come with discs, so it could be that they gave you a drum/drum MC for whatever reason.

OK, I am now throughly confused. NAPA lists the front disc/rear drum master cylinder as the same equal size bowl MC. SS 4736222 Is listed as front disc/rear drum W/O power brakes.

Autozone, Murrays, and Napa can't all be lying... can they? :shrug:

I always thought that non power front disc/rear drum master cylinders had one small and one big bowl. I am going nuts trying to figure this out.

Anyone care to shed some light onto the situation?

DJCarbine said:
OK, I am now throughly confused. NAPA lists the front disc/rear drum master cylinder as the same equal size bowl MC. SS 4736222 Is listed as front disc/rear drum W/O power brakes.

Autozone, Murrays, and Napa can't all be lying... can they? :shrug:

I always thought that non power front disc/rear drum master cylinders had one small and one big bowl. I am going nuts trying to figure this out.

Anyone care to shed some light onto the situation?
Ok, I see where you're confused now. :D The M/C you're looking at is a single reservoir unit. That's why it lists the same size for both front and rear. You need a later year M/C to upgrade. The single reservoir is fine for restorations, but they're not safe for driving compared to dual units. Get a leak somewhere in a single unit, you loose your brakes. Get a leak in a dual unit, you only loose half your brakes.

Hehe, now I get it. I am returning this and getting a 74 mavrick master cylinder. Advance auto has em for 19 bucks, doesnt specify disc, but it has the small drum/large disc bowls.

I am going to do a detailed writeup on my drum to disc scarebird conversion later, because hunting for parts SUCKS :D

I used the 17 inch 80's eldorado hoses that is on the scarebird website. A metal bracket comes on the hoses when you buy them. I took the bracket off, bolted it to the inner fender with the same bolt that holds the hardline connection, and got them to clear suspension parts and such that way. In retrospec, I would have used one of the shorter hoses listed. This is on a 66.

I've got the drivers side done and used that hose (on 67) but had to find an adaptor for the hard line (not fun). Found it at O'Reillys auto parts. First person didn't have a clue there were adaptors, second person had it in my hand in 20 seconds.