Need Some Info On These Heads

Jyz

Jul 29, 2012
Osseo, MN
i recently cracked a head on my 92 and picked up these heads super cheap, any info on them would be great i cant seem to find any good information about them. its marked C40E on both and i see an A on them also. will they even fit ? i was told they would but i need to know for sure, and if they do will i need different pushrods and rockers? i noticed the pushrod holes are more rectangle, and the sparkplug holes are much larger than the heads i pulled off. thanks for any information.

• Sponsors (?)

This is all the information i could find on the heads I was unable to find the C40E-A casting. For power production you may want to consider a newer head even E7TE heads out flow these by a long shot.

Details for C40E-B

Casting Number​
C40E-B​
Manufacturer​
Ford
Category​
Type​
Date​
1964​
Notes​
260, 54.5cc chambers, 1.67/1.45 valves​

thanks for the info, im not looking for power or anything at the moment just want to keep the car on the road for now, this will just be temporary, will i need to worry about different rocker arms and rods?

I believe it will cost you more to make those heads work than to pick up a set of E7s.

Edit
They use a different valvetrain, and you will have to convert all those parts.
Add to that, with springs, guides, and seals almost 50 years old, you will need to update those parts as well.
After all that expense, you will have a set of heads that will fit, but are sub-par to what you had stock. If only one of your E7s cracked, you should be able to pick up one cheap and just reuse the other. This way you can reuse your valvetrain, and all you need is gaskets, and maybe springs/seals on both heads for cheap insurance.

Depends on the condition.
You might find a set that were running in a car that was wrecked, and are a bolt in deal.
Or you find a set that had been on a car that was abused and ended up in the yard because it was just junked.
Those might need rebuilding.
Unless the heads are warped, you really shouldn't have any true machine work at all.
The worst you should have is a set that needs the valves redone and some seals.