Need Some Opinions On A Car

Ipaman

Sep 6, 2015
I am going to look at the car in the ad below today. I am new to Mustangs and just wanted some opinions on what you can see in the ad. Does it look like a decent car? Any red flags that I am not seeing? I have done my research and I am going to check all the usual things and more.

It has 77k miles on the body and 600 miles on the motor. My biggest concern is why is he selling it so soon after the motor build? What could he be hiding from me?

1993 Ford Mustang gt

• Sponsors (?)

The pictures are terrible. I think you will just have to go check it out. Make sure it isn't rusted out in the shock towers subframe and floor.

I'd be shocked if it was really 70k.

Reactions: 1 user
link no worky

Regardless things to know about these cars

they are 25-30 years old. Expect things to be broken, worn, rusted, hacked
Check the torque boxes, shock towers and subframes for signs of rust and damage-I would walk
Check for signs of an accident
Check for original vin tags- radiator support, inner fenders under the hood, inside trunk lid or hatch
Check all fluids oil, coolant, brake, p/s etc
Does the A/C work
Low mile cars should look low mile in the interior. One things guys overlook is the pedals. They put new seats and carpet in on cars that have XXXk miles and tell you they have XK miles.
Know that the more mods done, that is an inverse to the relialibility and ability for it to be a daily driver.
Without receipts- it didnt happen. ( motor, trans, rear end rebuild, etc.)

Good luck

Well I ended up really liking the car so I did the trade. It probably has more than 77k miles but it ran well enough and had some decent mods that I decided to take the plunge. It definitely isn't a show car or daily driver. I'll post up some better pictures.

Dang it won't let me upload my pictures.

Use the button that says upload a file, be patient. It takes a bit. After it uploads it will show it down below the text box, and give you the option of showing full view or thumbnail. Click full view.

Okay let me see if this will work.

20150906_202654827_iOS.jpg

20150906_202722336_iOS.jpg

20150906_202704039_iOS.jpg

20150906_202729543_iOS.jpg

I don't think I like the tinted lights or the plasti dipped wheels. Luckily both can be removed. Id like to see it about 2"-3" lower as well. And of course all the other little things it needs. I will post up some engine bay pictures shortly.

Looks good. What did you snag it for?

I always wondered how a foxbody with black out lights drove at night. I can barely see with the stock ones (and bulbs).

I actually traded a dirt bike and a bodyguard 380 for it. I felt good about the deal. I don't think I would have paid $6k for it though.

He added HID lights in the fogs so you can use those at night.

Some issues I have discovered.

Leaking power steering rack
Leaking transmission seal where the driveshaft connects
Needs rear shocks
Rear key cylinder for hatch doesn't work

I actually traded a dirt bike and a bodyguard 380 for it. I felt good about the deal. I don't think I would have paid $6k for it though.

He added HID lights in the fogs so you can use those at night.

Some issues I have discovered.

Leaking power steering rack
Leaking transmission seal where the driveshaft connects
Needs rear shocks
Rear key cylinder for hatch doesn't work
those are all common and simple repairs to make. Hope you're handy with some wrenches. Congrats on the newly acquired car and I hope you change your mind on slamming the car but if you insist the eibach sport lines are the ay to go to get it lo-low

Looks good. What did you snag it for?

I always wondered how a foxbody with black out lights drove at night. I can barely see with the stock ones (and bulbs).
Depends on how they are sprayed. that vht :poo: is garbage and is basically like spraypainting the light . Mine are done with clear that is tinted out of a spray gun and are just as bright as they were before the tint. Translucent right through. They just need to be done right.

I'm pretty good at turning wrenches so I'm excited to start fixing it up. The tint is pretty much junk if you ask me. I just need to figure out which chemical will strip it off.

As far as slamming it I probably won't be doing that. I like how they look low but being 37 I'm pretty much over riding in a wagon.

Ahhhhh, man. every time I see a carb conversion on a non-race car, I cringe.

And then when I saw the harness nubs poking through the firewall, it makes me angry. There is no reason to hack sh*t up like that.

Either way, just a little elbow grease and the car can be really nice. Have fun with it!

Well in the previous owners defense he was turning it into a drag car. Of course now I want to make it a street car. I'd love to go back to Efi and ac but the only way I'll do that will be if someone swaps with me. I don't plan on dropping a ton of money on that stuff.

Although maybe I can pick up a system from a junk yard car cheap?