Need sugestions on clutch upgrade...HELP PLEASE!

Gearhead91

Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
I have an '02 GT 5spd. Bought it with 20K miles, now has 65K on original clutch with MANY burnouts, launches, drag strip passes.:nice:

Over the past year, my clutch feel has been mushy and I'm getting a slight "tapping" sound when the clutch pedal is up sitting at idle in neutral. The tap goes away when you push in the clutch. I wanna do a clutch before it leaves me stranded!

I have a few questions...

1. Do I have a 6 or 8 bolt crank? What's better aluminum or steel flywheel?
2. What's the best clutch I should go with? (making about 300rwhp)
3. What is everything I need to do the swap that a kit doesn't come with? (I want to replace everything that wears while I'm in there.)

Thanks guys. You haven't let me down yet!:hail2:

I'm also a painter for a high end body shop in NJ if anyone needs paint work done. Check my "classifieds" ad!:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I used a King Cobra clutch in my red car and a HD ram clutch in my gt. I do not recomend the ram for a dd. The king cobra clutch was almost like stock. +1 on the throw out bearing and pilot bearing change. I never used an aluminum flywheel. I have heard it will put a few more ponies to the ground.

id go with a aluminum flywheel and a centerforce duel friction clutch, i could feel the difference with the aluminum flywheel and i love the clutch, has a great feel to it and can handle alot of power, oh and def replace TOB and pilot bearing while ur down there

+1 on the factory clutch cable from ford. i have had good luck with center force clutches and i would go with an aluminum flywheel. also alum drive shaft. a new throw out bearing and pilot bearing are a must.

I have a replacement Valeo 11" clutch in my 4.6L T45 car. It grabs hard and the pedal is easy to push in. It was 250 bucks. I was leary about it, because it was just an auto parts store clutch, but it's been great. I made 14 pases at the strip, made 240RWHP 284RWTQ, and a lot of street driving. No problems. I have also had good luck with my CFDF in my 91 5.0L T5 car, and in my Cobra. Just cost a lot more money.

Make sure that if you get a 11" clutch you get a flywheel that can accept it, the dowels are different. I have a Fidanza alum flywheel (FTW!) and had a 10.5 clutch in it. Now I have a 11" Dual Friction and it had to change the position of the dowels. No big deal if you have the fidanza. The dual friction is a great clutch, holds power and drives almost like stock.

hey gearhead.... lot of recommendations here by the crowd...times are tough and we all know everyone wants the best bang for their buck...

you should have a t-3650 trans with a 6 bolt crank... You can replace the flywheel but i would recommend if you have some time or another vehicle to drive is to price out taking ur stock flywheel to a machine shop and have them turn it... it shouldnt be too expensive to do but it would save u some money on a new flywheel..

as far as the other components go.. I personaly believe in the old fashioned ways of using the right parts and "over building" projects...I have trust in two diff clutch manufacturers "centerforce" and "mcleod", yes both will prolly run you more than a FRPP clutch or a generic auto part store clutch but atleast u will have the peace of mind u bought a good product... As far as the throwout bearing goes I do recommend sticking with a stock Ford bearing...there are many issues with aftermarket throw out bearings going bad early or premature noise "sqeaking" coming from them... also most clucth kits should come with a new pilot bearing to replace... also some ppl will say yes and some ppl will say no... but i personally use a slight bit of high temp grease and just a small amount on the input shaft to allow the throw out bearing to slide freely.....

also some ppl will say yes and some ppl will say no... but i personally use a slight bit of high temp grease and just a small amount on the input shaft to allow the throw out bearing to slide freely.....

Absolutely use grease. But don't pack it with a retarded amount. Just a light coat of grease. If you use too much it'll fling off and potentially **** you clutch surface.

Always use grease on the input shaft and T/O. Just take some on your finger and lightly coat it. Don't use gobs!!! I have had 3 DF clutches in 3 street driven cars. Two over400RWHP and one stock 5.0L. All were and are fine.