Need Tires... Which Ones/ and from Where?

spacescape

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2002
Clinton Township, MI
I need to get at least rear tires for my Stang before it starts to snow... I don't want to spends tons of cash... So, what should I seriously look at? I'm assuming that anything is better than the original GoodYears...

I took a look at TireRack and there is a very large selection... What should I look at first? I live in Michigan, and, we do get some snow... Also, everything I looked at was a "W" rating... Is that ok?

Thanks for any advice...

Bill

• Sponsors (?)

W rating means they're good until 168mph. So yes, that is good.

280997_49_full.jpg

I like my Kumho Ecstas.

i have heard nothing but good things about the Continental ContiExtremeContacts that i got. dont know about snow, but they have great grip in the rain, and i've seen them recommended as snow tires too for those of us us saddled with 17's lol

heh, but nitto is not a good snow tire... but maybe i'm wrong....

i'm never going to have to deal with snow so i cant say really.. in another forum people were recomending blizzak tires... dunno the manufacturer though... just thought i'd chime in

Torinalth

I know it is a little more than the others at $125 but, have you considered the BFGoodrich KDWS? It is an all season tire and is designed for snow.

Taken from www.tirerack.com
"In order to round out the g-Force T/A family, BFGoodrich wanted a tire that provided performance driving fun year round (even in snow) and developed the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS (Key benefits: Dry, Wet and Snow) to combine Ultra High Performance with All-Season traction. g-Force T/A tires are BFGoodrich’s flagship family of performance tires which includes everything from racing radials for the SCCA Trans Am Championship and DOT Legal Competition tires, to Max Performance and Ultra High Performance "summer" street tires."

Worth at least a look.

I bought a set of dayton hrs to replace my wornout good years(only 20k). they are h rated,cost 480 for a set on the car,lifetime rotation repair, and they stick like a mother in the rain. barking second makes a loud bark not a little chirp now. i like em.

jcp123 said:
i have heard nothing but good things about the Continental ContiExtremeContacts that i got. dont know about snow, but they have great grip in the rain, and i've seen them recommended as snow tires too for those of us us saddled with 17's lol

I got the same tires last month. They seem pretty good and soon will be snow tested. I paid $600 mounted/balanced from a local tire shop.

I got Nitto 555's in 275/40-17 at all 4 corners about a week ago. Paid $182 each for them mounted and balanced w/valve stems at a local Discount tire. Only crappy thing is, I've only put about 40 miles on them because there hasn't been any dry weather yet. :notnice: Damn NW Washington. :nonono:

Have you considered getting separate winter and summer tires? I have a set of 215/60/16 Michelin Arctic Alpins on 16" steel rims for the winter. I paid $581 for the set mounted, balanced, and shipped from Tire Rack. That's before the $40 rebate. I figure that's a heck of a lot cheaper than 17s and will get better traction in the snow. Assuming you have the stock GT brakes, there should be plenty of clearance for the 16s. I work at a tire dealership and there was no way we could beat Tire Rack's prices on snows.

As for summer tires, I'm eagerly awaiting the day the OE Goodyears are gone. If money were no object, I'd go with the Pilot Sports, but I'll probably end up settling for G-forces.

Is anyone here running 275/40/17s on 17x8s? They're recommended for 9-11' wide rims, but I was thinking of going that way. Not really into buying new rims right now, though.