Need to add resistor for point style ignition

JC6715

Oct 24, 2005
Hillsboro, Oregon
I am in limbo here, fried my Pertronix, and have the old points back in. New engine will be going in in a few months, with a "new" Duraspark dist.

How do I add a resistor so i am not constantly blowing the points until the new engine goes in? Old pink resistor wire is long gone... Want to keep the old engine in to break in the rear end before I have to break in the new engine and trans.

Can I just go to Radio Shack and say I need a resistor that drops 12v to 9.5v and they'll hand me something?

I am a novice when it comes to wiring and any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

• Sponsors (?)

I ran points for a little while after I rewired my stang. I just picked up a generic ballast resistor at the local auto parts store for around $5. It was added in series into the ignition power circuit on its way to the pos coil terminal.

I think I still have it somewhere. It is about 1 - 2 ohms and rated at around 20 watts.

I ran points for a little while after I rewired my stang. I just picked up a generic ballast resistor at the local auto parts store for around $5. It was added in series into the ignition power circuit on its way to the pos coil terminal.

I think I still have it somewhere. It is about 1 - 2 ohms and rated at around 20 watts.

Perfect, thanks a lot!