Need To Know What I Need

Shirley Marin

Apr 9, 2016
I have a 1966 Mustang coup. It has a 200 ci inline 6 cylinder engine. I want to put in a 289 engine in it. What other upgrades need to happen in order for this to happen? All I know is that I have to change the transmission and radiator, but that's about it.

• Sponsors (?)

The front suspension and rear end needs to be up graded as well ,along with the drag link and tie rods .The 6 cylinder spindles are to weak for the weight of the V8 and so is the rear end .You will also need to go to a V 8 drive shaft ,and motor mounts for the V8 . You should be able to find most of the V8 upgrades on Craigs list fairly reasonable .

I have a 1966 Mustang coup. It has a 200 ci inline 6 cylinder engine. I want to put in a 289 engine in it. What other upgrades need to happen in order for this to happen? All I know is that I have to change the transmission and radiator, but that's about it.
Shirley, spend some extended time looking through the archives here on the list. There's a lot of good information here to help you with making decisions that will not only result in a better upgrade of engine for you but save you money as well. Good luck !

my car is a '67 V8, i have pulled the entire thing apart to do a restomod. i have everything youd need for this swap, except the engine. the rear end is from '67 the trans is an old AOD from the 80s.
it was a running and driving car a few months before i got it.(the previous owner realized how bad the rust in the floor and supports was and realized it was unsafe to drive, so i figured HEY i can fix that!)
the brakes are 5 lug drum(meaning they are for a V8) but would likely need to be reshoed, id recommend new bearings, but i have every piece of steering and suspension and drivetrain you would need for this swap all you need is your motor.
Interested?

Last edited:
So I'm trying to clean things up and I changed out the bezel but now the gas gauge reads empty now. I went back to make sure all wiring went back to the same spot and were seated properly. Im really out of ideas. Anyone got an idea. It cant be the gas sending unit, since that was just changed out.