Need to replace Front Struts...Says Ford! Opinions / Options?

All,

I have had a clunk in the front of my car for a few months now. It is noticable when I back out of a parking spot or my driveway and cut the wheel. It kind of sounds like a POP. Took my car in for the 3650 TSB which is covered under my extended warranty.

They took apart my front end to find the problem. They called me today and said I need new Struts and Strut Backets, and wanted $800+ for it all. :mad:
I was planning on lowering my car soon, so maybe now it the right time!

What do you guys suggest?

Replace the stock struts alone?
OR
Lower the car, and get new Struts / brackets for the front?

Also, is this something me and a few buddies could do one day over a weekend? I know after I am done I will need to do an alignment and all that, but I have a lifetime policy so its FREE!

• Sponsors (?)

Depending on your spring choice and the road conditions around where you live, the factory struts stand a chance of wearing out before they normally would.
For the money Ford is talking, get it lowered to your liking with the struts/shocks that will work with and last with your spring choice.
I put a set of pro-kit springs in one corner at a time and was driving the same day. Just take your time and Be Safe.

-Cale

For that price. :notnice:
Get yourself the lowering springs,and aftermarket struts,call up your buds,and do the install yourselfs in an afternoon. :nice:
First put the stang on jack stands,remove the front wheels,and get yourself a Hanes repair mannual,then......(this is a very easy job)
For the struts,one bolt on top,and two at the spindle,out they come,then undo the end links from the sway bar,then slowly lower the pump jack to help let the spring come loose,then pull out the spring(might take some force to slide her out).Then pop in the new spring,pump up the jack to move the control arm up,slide the strut up into the tower,line it up with the spindle,tighten her up,then attach the end links to the sway bar back on,and she's done.Slap the wheels back on,then drop her.
For the rears....put her up on the jack stands,unbolt the wheels,then unbolt the sway bar,and remove it,then slide the pump jack under the lower control arm (for what ever side you do first),undo the nut/bolt that is bolted to the rear diff,and lower control arm,undo the shock at the diff aswell,then slowly lower the control arm,the spring will fall out,slide the new spring in,lift up the lower control arm,while lining it back up,then slide the bolt back in,and tighten the nut back on.Do the same on the other side.Then undo the shocks in the trunk(if you are replacing them aswell),let them drop,then slide the new onces in,and button them up.Now you can bolt the sway bar back on,slap on the rear wheels,then drop the stang. :nice:
My first time doing this took a day,my second time,with few buds did two stangs in an afternoon.Very easy,if you got the the tools. :nice: :cheers:

Ok, I am sold on doing the job myself. Next is what to actually put on.

What exactly do I need to get. Ford said that they were going to replace the struts and brackets, and I would need springs all around. Best would to be replace the shocks in the rear too, right?

Do I need to get new Caster Camber plates too?

Are there any packages that would be a good bet to get? :shrug:

When I lowered my car in the garage, I believe I had to disconect the struts and shocks to install the springs since i had no spring compressor. The rear shocks are a no-brainer.

Look at www.mustangworld.com for a complete article on how to change springs. It's under the how to section at the bottom right hand side of the front page. Thats the guide i used.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/spring1.htm

1low03gt said:
For that price. :notnice:
Get yourself the lowering springs,and aftermarket struts,call up your buds,and do the install yourselfs in an afternoon. :nice:
First put the stang on jack stands,remove the front wheels,and get yourself a Hanes repair mannual,then......(this is a very easy job)
For the struts,one bolt on top,and two at the spindle,out they come,then undo the end links from the sway bar,then slowly lower the pump jack to help let the spring come loose,then pull out the spring(might take some force to slide her out).Then pop in the new spring,pump up the jack to move the control arm up,slide the strut up into the tower,line it up with the spindle,tighten her up,then attach the end links to the sway bar back on,and she's done.Slap the wheels back on,then drop her.
For the rears....put her up on the jack stands,unbolt the wheels,then unbolt the sway bar,and remove it,then slide the pump jack under the lower control arm (for what ever side you do first),undo the nut/bolt that is bolted to the rear diff,and lower control arm,undo the shock at the diff aswell,then slowly lower the control arm,the spring will fall out,slide the new spring in,lift up the lower control arm,while lining it back up,then slide the bolt back in,and tighten the nut back on.Do the same on the other side.Then undo the shocks in the trunk(if you are replacing them aswell),let them drop,then slide the new onces in,and button them up.Now you can bolt the sway bar back on,slap on the rear wheels,then drop the stang. :nice:
My first time doing this took a day,my second time,with few buds did two stangs in an afternoon.Very easy,if you got the the tools. :nice: :cheers:

:stupid: this is what i would do

springs are not bad to do if your carefull, but do remember these things have a lot of tension built into them lower the floor jack slowly. i don't want too see a thread about you wearing a spring as part of your head

Torinalth said:
i am working on my suspension now, when i am done i will end up with either tokico HP shocks/struts and HR Race spings, or if i can get the cash hypercoil coilovers and bilstine dampers... www.maximummotorsports.com has the end all be all to mustang suspension. take your time a read as much as you can. very educational.

Torinalth

or tokico d specs for the shocks and struts