Needs some tips. Header gasket replacement.

poneypower89

Now everyone in the world will know I wanna bang t
Dec 6, 2004
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hey guys,

First off: If anyone tells you NOT to use the header gaskets that come with the BBK kits... listen to them. They do not last. Ok?

So here I am pulling the header off the driver side of the car to replace my crap gaskets with fel-pros.

First thing, the header will come about 1-1/2 inches away from the head. Is there a way, WITHOUT taking the header off the h-pipe, to gain more room? Maybe by sticking a jack under the h-pipe or something? Hopefully someone has done this before and knows the "trick".

Second thing, old gasket is completely caked on. Any trick to that? What works best with limited room?

Thanks all for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

i dealt with NUMEROUS header gasket leaks.

do it once and do it right. take the time, take the header complelety out of the car, and take a wire wheel and really CLEAN the head so its spotless...
once the new gasket hits this perfect surface it will seal good.

i replaced like 3 set of gaskets just kept putting them on with minimal effort to clean the old gasket off and it leaked right on start up. since i took the time to clean it good its leak free!

Another vote for cleaning everything spotless. Gaskets need clean bare metal to seal against, no matter what kind of gaskets you use.

Spend $24 and get a big container of anti seize from NAPA. Use it liberally on every nut, bolt and stud on the exhaust system that you remove to do the job. Next time they will spin off and not seize up and round off.

psssh... i did not want to take the entire header off.. but it looks like i might have to. I couldnt even get the header back in "place" just now.

Oh wells.. guess ill just have to disconnect the h-pipe now. :nonono:

Anything Im gonna need for that?

From my experience once I got the h pipe adjusted right after tightening down the headers the first time every time I take my headers off they come out very easy and without having to move the h pipe. Sure you have to get under the car and take off the nuts that attach the headers to h pipe, but at least you don't have to move the h pipe itself. And as far as the bronze gaskets, I don't like them. Too many leaks to count. For some reason my experience with the felpros have been good, they seem to crush down just right. I got some copper rtv like thumper told me and used that and low and behold, no header leaks. Maybe that is another good idea?:shrug:

psssh... i did not want to take the entire header off.. but it looks like i might have to. I couldnt even get the header back in "place" just now.

PB Blaster or WD40 penetrant fluid to soak the H pipe to header studs.
3/8" drive 5/8" 6 point deep socket or Snap On semi-deep socket
3/8" drive 12" extension
Good 3/8" drive long handle ratchet or impact wrench
Jack and jackstands
Lots of patience

Pb Blaster will be your friend through this.
Because, if you don't use it:bang: :bang:

I'd suggest soaking them at least an hour before you do it, soak the bolts and such, go grap a "refreshment" and then try them.
I have a Cleveland I recently rebuilt, I got the engine out, put it on the stand, rotated it so the exh. ports were up, soaked every bolt down in the manifolds and then ate dinner. I came back a half hour later and every single bolt came right out. Also, did I mention it's a factory Cleve in a '73 that was originally from Iowa, an untouched engine, HA. Rust=no match for PB, I use it on a nearly daily basis at work too.

you dont have to disconnect the Hpipe to take the header out, just unbolt the headers from the Hpipe... maybe i misunderstood u.

i know it feels like a PITA to take them off but if u dont they will leak again and it will end up being more of a PITA trying to fix it later.

Yep, those gaskets are junk. I replaced one on my car recently and it was CAKED like you said. I pulled the header out completely and wire wheeled everything to get it clean. I tried gasket/paint remover, razor blades, scrapers, nothing would get it off the head other than a powered wire wheel. You definitely want it spotless if any gasket is going to seal. I just used a $5 paper gasket because I was planning on pulling the heads off soon and didn't want to wait for copper gaskets to come in. Definitely go with copper gaskets though.

I would recommend copper gaskets, and take a header bolt to a hardware store and match it up with an Allen head style bolt. This will allow you to crank the bolt down with enough force, without the risk of slipping a socket off. Also as mentioned, make sure you scrape the head CLEAN before installing new gaskets.

Then, if you don't already know the "drop in" method.....this can only be done with some gaskets that have "hooked" bolt holes on the ends of the gasket so you put the two end bolts on, which will hold the header in place, and then you drop the gasket in, and lightly snug the bolts and then you should be lined up good to put the other bolts in.

First off: If anyone tells you NOT to use the header gaskets that come with the BBK kits... listen to them. They do not last. Ok?
Tell me about it. BBK sells good, high quality stuff. But, then they put some CHEAP *SS WORTHLESS POS CR*P gaskets in with their headers. WTF! I think the person responsible for choosing those gaskets to be included with the headers should have those POS gaskets shoved so far up their *** they cough them up!!!

Also, I had the ball on the end of the BBK header (that connects to the h-pipe) fold in on itself. My FRPP headers NEVER did that. And, I've had the headers, x-pipe off many times in my car. So, I went back to my FRPP headers when I also HAD to replace the POS header gaskets that I got with my new BBK headers.

I got the BBK headers (94/95) so I could try an EGR setup like the 94/95 Stangs. That way, I wouldn't have the hot exhaust gasses heating up my lower and upper. Too many hassles. Never worked out all of the details to *my* satisfaction.