• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Negative Wedge problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter tillerman85
  • Start date Start date Dec 26, 2006
T

tillerman85

New Member
Dec 3, 2004
39
1
0
Dec 26, 2006
#1
  • Dec 26, 2006
  • #1
I am having a problem with my control arms hitting my shock towers. I have a negative wedge kit on the car and have for over ten years. While restoring the car and I installed a Vario-centric kit for the lower arms. Now when I install my rebuilt upper arms (with neg wedge kit) the arms contact the shock tower out where the bushing is in the arm. The shaft won't sit against the tower unless I put several washers between shaft and the washer. Remember I put in the vario-centric kit to eliminate upper shims. Has anyone heard of this problem?

John
 

S-Car-Go

Member
Mar 25, 2003
332
0
16
San Jose, CA
Dec 26, 2006
#2
  • Dec 26, 2006
  • #2
Give ProMotorsports a call. You'll prolly have to put a washer between the upper arm and the shock tower. The 67/8 neg wedge kit does this to keep the arm off the shock tower.
 
T

tillerman85

New Member
Dec 3, 2004
39
1
0
Dec 26, 2006
#3
  • Dec 26, 2006
  • #3
Thanks. I can get the ca's to barely clear with 1/4" of washers (2 thick washers per bolt). Unfortunately I was thinking that I could gain some tire clearance by eliminating the camber shims with the vario-centric kit.
No one was in the shop at pro-motorsports today, I'll call tomorrow. I've always gotten the best tech help here though!
I'm considering removing some material from the control arm but I'm concerned that it will weaken them. Of course they are detailed to the n'th degree so I'd hate to grind on them.
 

2bav8

Founding Member
Nov 30, 1998
2,511
1
47
Mesa, AZ
Dec 26, 2006
#4
  • Dec 26, 2006
  • #4
Grind off the back of the upper arm.
Won't hurt the strength.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Suspension Harsh Ride
  • PonyGTrider
  • Mar 20, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2 3 4
Replies
62
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 11, 2026
Noobz347
3
Hammer shifter problems
  • 387lx
  • Apr 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
228
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 11, 2026
General karthief
Brakes FOX BRAKES ISSUES
  • PonyGTrider
  • Jan 11, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2 3
Replies
53
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 31, 2026
Mustang5L5
What's it Worth? 2000 GT
  • Mustang5L5
  • May 8, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
6
Views
426
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 13, 2026
KRUISR
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
347
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?