New 1/4 Track times

Venom351R

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
MAINE
went down to Epping N.H tonight to the track to see if I could improve on my times since my dyno tune chip. I came way tonight rather pleased b/c I got a new best MPH and ET along w/ some good kills at the track. I got in 7 runs winning all but 2 of them, most of all I got some much needed track time b/c Im still a noob when it comes to this. Here are my times.

Previous best of 13.737 @ 103.10 w/ a 2.139 60'

New best time

RT.. 1.002

60' ...2.153

330... 5.894

1/8... 8.868

MPH.. 84.31

1000.. 11.378

1/4 ... 13.476

MPH... 107.12

Over all Im pretty happy I droped 3 tenths since my last trip to the track and I had a new best MPH of 109.12 but only ran a 13.6 on that run. Over all Im really happy b/c just getting more track experience helps alot. I think once I have a new suspension it will help alot as well.

Here are some new track kills that I had tonight.

1. SVT Focus

2. EVO

3. 98+ Camaro

4. New GTO

• Sponsors (?)

NICE! The more you go to the track, the better your times will be. Its nice to see you getting the MPH out of car that's indictative of the RWHP you have! WTG! You have SOLID mid 12's at a minimum with a 109mph trap speed!

Thanks paul, and thanks alot from the advise you have given me before I used some of that tonight to get my better times. I concentrated alot more on my launch and 60' time more so then my RT. I burned the nittos up alot more then before but Im still having trouble cutting a 2.0 or lower 60'. Not sure if thats due to the crappy track or my inexperience or both. Epping is not known for its great prep especially on street nights ( weds/Fridays ). Im going down again on sat the 23ed for a test and tune session, usually alot few less people and they prep the track well b/c the cars run that are doing the races on sundays.

I was launching at about 2,500 RPMS and slipping the clutch off the line, one time I just droped it off the line and cut a bad 2.33 60' so I seem to do alot better w/ slipping the clutch but I need to find out if I should go at a higher or lower RPM off the line or if Im at a good spot where Im at now.

94GTLaserRC said:
I agree with Paul...cant go to the track often enough!!!

Keep it up!
RC

You should go its really fun. Im getting addicted to it now :banana:

I have a question for those of you who do go to the track often and that is where should I shift ?

Heres a pic of my dyno graph so you can see where my power drops off.

attachment.php

Queston is should I shift where my power starts to drop off or should I still go beyond that? Last night I was shifing pretty much at redline ( 6K ) could I get better times by shifting when the power drops off or is it still good to take it to redline so that after your shift your tach is higher in the RPM range ?

Striped5.0 said:
Queston is should I shift where my power starts to drop off or should I still go beyond that? Last night I was shifing pretty much at redline ( 6K ) could I get better times by shifting when the power drops off or is it still good to take it to redline so that after your shift your tach is higher in the RPM range ?

Generally you shifting 200rpms past peak power nets the best results. For you I'd say that's around 5900. Nice times and numbers!

wytstang said:
Great power curve, you may want to start saving for some beefier rearend parts since it sound like your becoming an avid track junky.

yeah its pretty adicting I deff want to go more often and a new suspension is in the plans for the near future.

I was running at 20 PSI w/ the nittos and then dropped them to 18 and thats when I got the best run. Not sure if thats the sweet spot for nittos or not but Im working on it.

Striped5.0 said:
yeah its pretty adicting I deff want to go more often and a new suspension is in the plans for the near future.

I was running at 20 PSI w/ the nittos and then dropped them to 18 and thats when I got the best run. Not sure if thats the sweet spot for nittos or not but Im working on it.

Id try 15psi next time....

Its nice to see you getting the MPH out of car that's indictative of the RWHP you have!

I disagree, i think hes mising some mph, 2-4 atleast... This may be just due to the driver inexperience though, and not be able to launch the car really hard like it should be. Now that i think about it id say his gears are holding him back alot as well, he would pick up a good chunk of MPH with some 3.90's. Id say next weekend will be the real test, with the treated track he should see some good times.

yellow1995Cobra said:
Id try 15psi next time....

I disagree, i think hes mising some mph, 2-4 atleast... This may be just due to the driver inexperience though, and not be able to launch the car really hard like it should be. .

Whats a good RPM to launch at. I was going at around 2,500.

yellow1995Cobra said:
5k :) But that is not gonna happen on a street night...

haha no its not. Im thinking that its my lack of track time and crappy prep on street nights that is leading to the decent MPH but lower ET's. I dont think and hope that my 3.55's are not to much of a hinderence. I would not want to do anohter gear swap. I could have gone w/ 3.73's and maybe should have but whats done is done for now. Id rather work on getting a good suspension for better times VS doing a gear swap.

I got a good offer on a set of tokico illuminia 5 way adjustible coil overs for $480.

Have to remeber as well that I held my own pretty well last night. I went up agnest 3 cars that I could have easly lost to. The EVO the new GTO and the Z28 that usually ran 12's. I was deff not the worse driver there b/c I was up agnest some who had more to work with and ran worse then I did.

Striped5.0 said:
haha no its not. Im thinking that its my lack of track time and crappy prep on street nights that is leading to the decent MPH but lower ET's. I dont think and hope that my 3.55's are not to much of a hinderence. I would not want to do anohter gear swap. I could have gone w/ 3.73's and maybe should have but whats done is done for now. Id rather work on getting a good suspension for better times VS doing a gear swap.

I got a good offer on a set of tokico illuminia 5 way adjustible coil overs for $480.

Have to remeber as well that I held my own pretty well last night. I went up agnest 3 cars that I could have easly lost to. The EVO the new GTO and the Z28 that usually ran 12's. I was deff not the worse driver there b/c I was up agnest some who had more to work with and ran worse then I did.

Dont take this the wrong way but i dont put much stock into the whole well the car i raced was this and that, and had this done and etc etc. Cars run times that the drivers will drive them to. Just cause the guy had a bad run doesnt mean hes a horid driver, or his car is slow, its just one run. I dont like to think of it that im RACING the guy next to me, cause im not. Im racing against the clock. I just tune out the dude next to me and do my thing. If its some loud ass car sometimes it can be worth while to let him take off then launch shortly after so you can hear your motor/car well.

As far as shocks/struts go. I had lakewoods on my old car, 90/10 and 50/50. I loved them, great product. I have strange adjustable shocks on my cobra and they are amazing. When they are full loose they really allow the weight to transfer to the rear. The strange shocks and struts are fairly inexpensive. Ill be getting a set of struts soon.. They are just another option for you to look into.

I do think you would gain alot from gears. What RPM were you passing the traps at?

Is it worth it to change the gears? Yes, i would if it was me, but thats me. If you are planning h/c later on anyways then maybe leaving them is best. Im going to be putting some 3.90's or 4.10's in my cobra this winter. With the 3.90's and typical DR height size i should have a top speed around 127 in 4th. So i gotta do some more research as to whether the 4.10's will be best, cause i may want that extra 6mph from where i am now if i get the car retuned to an honest 500+rwhp.

Anyways curt schilling just came outa the bullpen!! GOTTA see this lol.

yellow1995Cobra said:
Dont take this the wrong way but i dont put much stock into the whole well the car i raced was this and that, and had this done and etc etc. Cars run times that the drivers will drive them to. Just cause the guy had a bad run doesnt mean hes a horid driver, or his car is slow, its just one run. I dont like to think of it that im RACING the guy next to me, cause im not. Im racing against the clock.

Oh Im well aware of that, Im always racing the clock and not the car next to me but it just feels good to win a race VS cars that you always hear alot about. Granted they may win 3 out of the next 5 times if I were to race them but that time I won and thats all that mattered to me just for a moral boost.

As far as the noise factor that is true, the worst run I had that night was when I was lined up to a non legal street car w/ some hella loud exhuast. I could not even think let alone concentrate and my 60' and my ET deff showed it.
yellow1995Cobra said:
I do think you would gain alot from gears. What RPM were you passing the traps at?

I cant remember for sure but Id say its pretty close to redline, once I get into 4th I just concentrate on making sure the car is stright and Im not really looking at the tach anymore.

mootang said:
hey, i got your pm. thanks.

also just work on your 60ft. and work on your shifting. you can cut alot of time just from quicker shifting.

you should be able to hit 12's with ease.

No Prob.

yeah thats another thing I need to work on. The Tri AX helps alot but I can prob still shift better then I am. Power shifting is always an option but Id like to keep my T5 in one peice.