New 400 HP Engine for 2010 GT at mid-year

• Sponsors (?)

Cost could certainly be a fact with the GT already getting into the $40,000 range.
I don't know how successful the Mustang can continue to be if the cost gets above $40,000.
Also, what will the coming MPG requirements of 35 per gallon do?

The article on the homepage seems to insinuate its a question between 2011 or 2012. I'd love it if it came out sooner since I'm just about ready to change cars. I had been considering a preowned sporty luxury car, but an earlier release will make my choice a lot easier.

Cost could certainly be a fact with the GT already getting into the $40,000 range.
I don't know how successful the Mustang can continue to be if the cost gets above $40,000.
Also, what will the coming MPG requirements of 35 per gallon do?

Keep in mind a large portion of that cost are what I call "fluff" options. Options that are nice, but few people actually order them on their mustang. There is $2k for the glass roof, $2200 for the Nav system and $400 for the rear view camera. 18" wheels are also now standard with 19" as a $1k option rather than previously it being 17" standard and 18" option. When I option it out a 2010match my 2008 as closely as possible (only options I don't have are ambient light, and Shaker 1000/Nav), there is only a little over a $1000 difference. Not too bad considering the car is two years and one body style newer.

You are right in that approaching that $40k mark is bad news, but I think its a problem with all cars in general - not just the mustang. Think of how few interesting cars there are with sticker prices under $25k anymore. I remember when not too long ago, you could get a new 3-series with options for under $30k. Good luck finding anything close to that car for that price anymore. Now they start at almost $34k. Even the Volvo S40 is now almost $30k to start.

I just built a 2010 GT coupe 5spd for around 28,800 including destination charges.

Their still plenty affordable as long as you get a BASE car and are willing to settle for cloth. My 2006 GT coupe 5spd carried a MSRP of around $27,400 (paid invoice $25,400) Mine has leather though but I ordered it from the factory that way, Base GT with leather.

I'll settle for cloth before I spend 2 or 3 grand on a package deal just to get leather.

Just give me a stick and a V8 and I'm good to go.:nice:

I think a 4v 5.0 Gt will still be affordable without all the BS creature comforts.