new 5.0 auto vs. stick

Deths91Gt

Founding Member
Sep 30, 1998
KS
I'm thinking of getting the new 5.0 but wanted to get some opinions on stick or auto performance wise. I had a auto car in the days of the foxbodies with the AOD. And those in stock form sucked. I had a 06 GT auto and it was much better but i missed rowing thru the gears. Hows the new 6 speed auto compare to the stick in 1/4 mile times?

• Sponsors (?)

I bought the manual, test drove both. It all depends on what you like or used to. The auto in the car is pretty beast, and unless you get a tune that skip shift can be annoying at times (until you get used to it, then it isn't too bad). Myself I love my stick, but unlike the older cars it really doesn't matter for performance I think they are pretty equally matched.

I was hung up on the auto because I'm more of a commuter than going to the drag strip...but my friends are really convincing me to go manual. I test drove both...both are awesome. But the manual has its plus side. Dropping it into a low gear to fly past someone on the highway...reving the engine at a stop light...over all more control. I'm in the market for a 2011 or better GT and I'm going with the manual now....its just too much fun.
Just my opinion.

2013 Mustang SelectShift Auto Tranny

Ford just announced that the 2013 Mustang will be available with a SelectShift automatic transmission. Also the automatic version will now be available with the optional Brembo brake package. I know what I am buying in Spring 2012. See link below.

2013 Mustang

I've been a stick man all my life, I just brought home my new 2012 GT/CS in a Manual. I must say I sure like the gear spacing they used esp for a 3.55 rear gear. I say stick if for no other reason engine rpm control. I had a few stab & steer stangs and while great for reaction time, I found myself bored with nothing to do. LOL.

Before you buy the Manual, check out the new features comming on the 2013 Auto,,Ford is getting closer and closer to a Combo of manual and auto in one and the same tranny..

+1

yeah that new select shift would be a nice feature. I have that in my suv, i can be in drive, or i can go over to the other side and have it in kind of an auto manual and use paddle shifters. It would be kind of need if they adopted that idea, not saying the paddle shifts just where you pick what mode your car is in.

+1

yeah that new select shift would be a nice feature. I have that in my suv, i can be in drive, or i can go over to the other side and have it in kind of an auto manual and use paddle shifters. It would be kind of need if they adopted that idea, not saying the paddle shifts just where you pick what mode your car is in.

Just curious.....how much torque can the 6 speed auto's handle before they fail?

I bought a manual 2011 last year. It was a job 1 car and had all sorts of clutch issues. When it worked it worked great. Unfortunately I ended up getting fed up with its issues and recently traded for an auto car.
The auto is very stout. With a tune it chirps the 2-3 shift hard. You definitely are disconnected from the driving experience though.

Pick what you like

I've driven both over the years. Pick what YOU like (not what somebody else likes).

For me and my '12 5.0, it was stick. It's fun to drive. I feel more engaged as a driver with the car. And the Mustang is a "driver's" car. I like choosing when to downshift (and hearing the burble and pop through the FRPP sport mufflers) and then powering out of a tight hairpin.

But, again, you should pick what you like.

As far as I know you can't change the rear end from the factory with the auto (3.15 gears). The manual has steeper gears, with the option of going up to the 3.73. So, stock for stock from the factory, the manual is faster.

1/4 mile times will depend on the driver. For the average driver, the automatic will probably be slightly faster and more consistent.

If you are looking for the best daily driver or a good driver's car, get the manual. For normal driving on the streets, the autos are programmed for fuel efficiency, and tend to want to go into the highest gear as soon as possible, and stay there as long as possible. With the manual, you are in control, and more connected with the car.

The new 6-speed manual is also much smoother and more refined than the 5-speed manual from the 05-09, which having driven one after getting used to a 2011, felt rather clunky and truck-like in comparison.

1/4 mile times will depend on the driver. For the average driver, the automatic will probably be slightly faster and more consistent.

If you are looking for the best daily driver or a good driver's car, get the manual. For normal driving on the streets, the autos are programmed for fuel efficiency, and tend to want to go into the highest gear as soon as possible, and stay there as long as possible. With the manual, you are in control, and more connected with the car.

The new 6-speed manual is also much smoother and more refined than the 5-speed manual from the 05-09, which having driven one after getting used to a 2011, felt rather clunky and truck-like in comparison.

True. Maybe I should rephrase that. If you don't suck, the manual will be faster from the factory. :D

As far as I know you can't change the rear end from the factory with the auto (3.15 gears). The manual has steeper gears, with the option of going up to the 3.73. So, stock for stock from the factory, the manual is faster.

The auto has deeper gears in the transmission.

The auto with 3.15 has a lower overall gear ratio than the manual with 3.73's.

The manual is not faster from this stand point.

The driver mod will define the difference between an auto winning and a manual winning every time.