Engine New 5.0 Build - PCV, Breather, Both, or ????

ameration

Founding Member
Apr 8, 2002
Ohio
Just finished rebuilding the 5.0 for my son’s 1995 GT (Trick Flow Cam, Keith Black -3.00cc Pistons, Blueprint Cylinder Heads, Ford Performance R302H Lifters, Roller Rockers, etc…). The new, taller valve covers both have the breather holes in them. The lower intake (GT40) also has the PCV hole in the rear (and we have the OEM PCV).

My Question is, do we run the PCV to a catch can (using the lower intake position in the middle of the motor), run only a single breather in one valve cover (and which side), run the PCV and a breather in both valve covers, PCV and a breather in only one valve cover (and plug the other), only run breathers and cap off the PCV, or what …. and why?

Thanks so much for the help with this.

Attachments

• 1E1C059C-D942-4DAC-861F-C8896757394E.jpeg
    1E1C059C-D942-4DAC-861F-C8896757394E.jpeg
    824.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok, the engine in these cars have a 'closed PCV system' meaning no breathers, all the out side air entering the engine is metered through the maf, one valve cover should have a hose connected to the throttle body and the PCV is connected to the intake at the back and the intake plenum.
Reason is no combustion gases escape the engine, the crankcase air is cycled back through the combustion process and out the tail pipe.
Has no effect on power.

The General is spot on however one of the holes on the valve covers will need to be used for an oil fill. So you will need to find a way to plug the hole that is not used and add a filler neck to the other one. This is what I used for the oil filler neck and cap:

I also had an aluminum 1/4" NPT fitting welded into the filler neck for a barbed fitting to be installed. From the factory there was a vacuum hose conencted from the Throttle body to the oil filler neck. Here is what is looks like finished:

IMG_4926a.jpg

Ok, the engine in these cars have a 'closed PCV system' meaning no breathers, all the out side air entering the engine is metered through the maf, one valve cover should have a hose connected to the throttle body and the PCV is connected to the intake at the back and the intake plenum.
Reason is no combustion gases escape the engine, the crankcase air is cycled back through the combustion process and out the tail pipe.
Has no effect on power.
Correct - however I’m trying to avoid all of that oil getting back into my intake (old intake was very oily inside but the worn rings allowed lots of blow-by).

Are you suggesting to cap the valve covers and run the PCV only or set it back up like stock (he stock pass. valve cover has a hose that went into the intake tube before the TB in addition to the PCV vac line.)

Look at a pic of the stock PCV system on a fox 5.0, as a matter of fact any EFI 5.0 from 86 till (95 for fox model) till mid 90's for any EFI 5.0 push rod engine and the PCV system is pretty much the same.
Does the engine have some blow-by?

Look at a pic of the stock PCV system on a fox 5.0, as a matter of fact any EFI 5.0 from 86 till (95 for fox model) till mid 90's for any EFI 5.0 push rod engine and the PCV system is pretty much the same.
Does the engine have some blow-by?
Brand new build so shouldn’t have any blow-by.
The motor before it was rebuild had horrible blow-by.