New 5.0 into a New Edge

Oneback

Jun 23, 2009
I know this is probably a bit premature but seeing as though I am sure a few of you have atleast started thinking along these lines I figured I would start a discussion.

I have a 2003 GT Convertable with 101,000 miles on it that I use as my DD. I was already looking into doing a rebuild/4V swap in the near future before the news started coming out about the new 5.0.

Now, I have thought about ordering a 2011 GT for a weekend toy while I still DD the 2003 but I love not having a car payment as does my savings account, plus I would still probably look into doing a rebuild on the 4.6 if I were to pick up a 2011 GT.

My first question is will the new 5.0 even fit? From what I have gathered it looks as though the block is based off the modular Boss block and the heads are just redesigned 4V heads (could be wrong). That leaves the intake...will the new intake fit/will I be able to get an inlet tube to fit?

Second question, will the new 5.0 bolt up to the New Edge K-Member?

Third Question, I know there has been a few 3V swaps done but from what I remember everyone dropped the VCT. I know my ECU would not be able to/not capable of controlling VCT, however is it possible to swap an ECU from a 2011 GT? Has anyone done the same with with the 3V to keep VCT intact?

Fourth Question, if keeping the Ti VCT intact is not possible my rebuild/swap plans were pushing me towards a big bore/boss 4V anyway, any idea if the new 5.0 4V heads will work on a big bore/boss block? If not, will the new 5.0 intake fit on a previous version 4V head? This brings me back to the question if the intake/inlet tube would fit on a New Edge as I am sure the new intake is tuned better for the added displacement over a ported cobra intake.

I know that these questions probably cannot be answered now but I at least wanted to get a discussion going for those of you that are possibly thinking about doing the same.

• Sponsors (?)

$7k is still a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a motor, especially when we don't know how much work will be involved... you'll probably need custom headers, definitely the harness and computer... I still would be surprised if the build didn't cost you at least $10k. At the end of the day nobody is going to pay a significant amount more when it comes time to sell your car either... mods are worth like 15 cents on a dollar. I would much rather build a 4.6 with a supercharger and forged internals for half the cost and have it be a direct drop in.

I would much rather build a 4.6 with a supercharger and forged internals for half the cost and have it be a direct drop in.

+1. This simply makes the most sense.

If the OPer has his heart set on the swap, instead of asking if anyone else has done it -- and it seems unlikely given that the Coyote engine is so new it's practically still warm from factory dyno testing -- perhaps he should be the "pioneer" and be the first to dive in and blaze a trail, answering his own questions as he goes. Someone has to be first so why not you?

I just wanted to get some discussion going. As I am thinking about which way would be best to go.

As for the supercharger route I am looking at $10,000+ as well.

Economy Forged Shortblock - $2999
TFS Heads - $1995
Kenne Bell Intercooled kit - $4999

There's $10k with nothing else being facotred in.

I didn't start this thread to really discuss the merits of NA vs FI, the cost will likely be the same either way.

Like I said this may be a bit premature but in the end I need to figure out how much different the new 5.0 block is from a Boss block, how much different are the new 4v heads from any of the previous versions and what would it take to get the new intake/inlet to fit. As a bonus I would like to figure out what it would take to keep the Ti VCT in place (did anyone doing a 3v swap keep VCT in place and what did they do?).

if the motor is only 7k and you have the time an patience for a project like this i say go for it! id love to see the outcome of it..like trinity said, somones gotta do it wo why not make that someone be you? i ld be an think it would awesome to see this done...go for it dude!

I just wanted to get some discussion going. As I am thinking about which way would be best to go.

TFS Heads - $1995

I didn't start this thread to really discuss the merits of NA vs FI, the cost will likely be the same either way.

Like I said this may be a bit premature but in the end I need to figure out how much different the new 5.0 block is from a Boss block, how much different are the new 4v heads from any of the previous versions and what would it take to get the new intake/inlet to fit. As a bonus I would like to figure out what it would take to keep the Ti VCT in place (did anyone doing a 3v swap keep VCT in place and what did they do?).

Eh, I disagree on your costs analysis of FI... there are plenty of deals out there to make it a lot cheaper.

But, back on topic since it sounds like you are determined to do it. From what I've heard, the new 5.0 is not based on the current block, so pretty much custom everything will be required. Like Trinity said, nobody's done it, and we're not Ford engineers, so the only way to find out is buy the engine and start fabbing.

wow...you guys are a tough crowd

there aren't many mods of any kind that make financial sense, especially engine swaps. For street cars the vast majority are done because they want some different or for the challenge of actully doing it...

heck somebody's gunna be the first to put a new 5.0 in a New Edge Mustang. So if you've got some time, aren't afraid of fabing up some of your own parts and have some tools in your box besides a credit card it, might be a fun project

and $7000.00 it might be worth looking into, that's not much more than a good remaned 4.6...

TFS Heads - $1995

You really don't need to change heads if you are adding a blower to a built 2v. Change the cams, and throw a ton of boost at it.